Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
PhillipH
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Phillip Haarhaus

Backup Copy Job shouldn't merge files i.e. create synthetic full backups

Post by PhillipH »

Hello everyone,

I have several backup jobs that backup a lot of VMs onto a repository. These are configured to create synthetic full backups. This works fine.

I want to copy these backups onto a secondary repository. This second repository has very bad concurrent I/O performance so ideally I want to only copy the large backup files once they're done and not have any merging taking place. If this means copying a lot of full backup files regularly that would be fine by me.

How do I achieve this? The wizard for backup copy jobs does not allow me to choose or not choose synthetic full backups. This option is only available in the backup job section. I want the finished merged full backup files to be copied to the secondary repository at regular intervals.

I tried pruning mode as well as mirroring. Thanks in advance for any help. I feel like I lack some basic understanding here but intuitively I feel like a backup copy job should always just copy finished files and never merge anything but my backup copy job is stuck merging files nonetheless.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup Copy Job shouldn't merge files i.e. create synthetic full backups

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the "periodic" copy mode allows to "Read the entire restore point from source instead of synthesizing it from increments".

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

That's the "active full" of backup copy jobs that helps with slow BCJ targets.

Best regards,
Hannes