Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
evilaedmin
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Eugene V

P2V of Veeam Agents and moving restore points

Post by evilaedmin »

Hello. I would like to know if it is "safe" to move restore points from a StoreOnce CIFS store to a StoreOnce Catalyst store.

I have P2V-ed some Physical servers previously protected by Veeam Agent, backed by CIFS store from HPE StoreOnce.

Now that these are VMs protected by HotAdd proxies, we are sending this data to a pre-existing Catalyst store and have no need for the CIFS store.

The reason I'd like to do this is because the CIFS and Catalyst stores do not share deduplication data, I can reclaim a significant amount of physical space from the deduplication device. Since the jobs are no longer running to enforce retention it is simpler for my retention-verification script, too.

The original jobs and agent configurations are already deleted, so these restore points are under Disk(Imported). Would I need to do any database updates or is it simply a matter of moving the files and rescanning repos?

Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2888 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: P2V of Veeam Agents and moving restore points

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
if you can move files on StoreOnce from an SMB store to Catalyst store, then rescan will find them, yes. Just make sure that you move everything.

After rescan you will see them in Disk(Imported) again then.

Best regards,
Hannes
evilaedmin
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Eugene V

Re: P2V of Veeam Agents and moving restore points

Post by evilaedmin »

if you can move files on StoreOnce from an SMB store to Catalyst store, then rescan will find them, yes.
Thank you for the reply, yes the plan is to use Veeam's file management capabilities to do the move -- Veeam objects in v10 are not eligible for moves with the StoreOnce Catalyst Copy Utility (CCU) -- or in unsupported powershell terms, scripting with [Veeam.Backup.Core.CRepositoryAccessorFactory]::FileCommander