Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cerberus
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Mirza

When replicating from backup files, how can we set source proxy?

Post by cerberus »

Hello,

Trying to use Veeam Replication (VBR10) to move away from array based replication. We have WAN accelerators (SilverPeak) at both ends of the WAN due to the 50mbps link having 80-100ms (coast-to-coast MPLS).

When I configure the replication job to use production storage as the source repository, I have the ability to set both the source and destination proxy. This is great in that I can spin up a Windows VM at both sites and point the default gateway to our SilverPeak WAN accelerators.

Issue is when trying to replicate from backup files instead of production storage; I don't have the option to set source proxy and I am not sure how I can make the source side send through the WAN accelerators when replication job runs.

I want to replicate from the backup file as that would mean no production snapshots or additional overhead on the production VMware cluster. The B2D is very quick using CBT fast-clone SAN mode, snapshots are short lived (10-15min depending on VM size).

Side question, concerned with B2D snapshots with CBT and Replication jobs doing the same thing, if replication is running when the next B2D job runs.. can it cause issues? There will already be a snapshot active for replication.

Case #04727005
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: When replicating from backup files, how can we set source proxy?

Post by Gostev »

There's no such option because there's no source proxy involved in principle in such scenario :) the data from backup files is retrieved by a source data mover running directly on the repository server (or for other repository types, on the specified gateway server).

But why are you using external WAN accelerators anyway, instead of those built into Veeam? You won't get very good results with external ones, as they have no Veeam content awareness. And it seems you already have what it takes from backup infrastructure perspective: a Windows VM at both sites.

As for the side question, if both jobs in question are managed by the same backup server, then this will not cause any issues.

Thanks.
cerberus
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Mirza

Post by cerberus »

We already have external WAN accelerator licenses so trying to leverage that for now. On Veeam side we have VBR socket licenses (enterprise), can't play with WAN acceleration nor CDP in VBR11 :( I have pinged our VAR to get pricing to go from enterprise to enterprise plus, and I saw there is a 30 day trial we can get to test it out .. that may be another option.

Was hoping I can somehow direct the data mover traffic to go out a different path and through the WAN accelerator so I can replicate from backup server vs. snapshots on prod VMs. I am concerned that the initial seed for some large VMs will be multi-day, keeping a snapshot around for a few days is concern.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

In any case, I think it should be possible to have the network traffic flowing through the path you want using the Preferred Network setting. This approach is "perpendicular" to achieving the same through picking proxies with only certain network interfaces available, but in cases there are multiple network paths between source and target data movers and you want them to use the particular path, this should definitely work.