Management reporting and documentation
mbroaders
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Martin Broaders

Latest Backup Chain Size Report

Post by mbroaders »

I want to size up Azure Blob Storage for some clients to take advantage of the copy mode to blob storage functionality. I understand i can enable this for the latest backup chains only rather than the contents of the entire repository. However, i am not sure how best to get a report on the size of the latest backup chains. Is this possible with Veeam One or otherwise for all jobs in a SOBR?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Latest Backup Chain Size Report

Post by wishr »

Hi Martin,

Please take a look at the Backups on the repository, SOBR configuration, and Job history reports, and let us know if that is what you are looking for.

Thanks
mbroaders
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Martin Broaders

Post by mbroaders »

Thanks Wishr. I have looked through these and they don't seem to give what i am looking for. The Backups on Repository is closest but shows all backups rather than just the active chains. Is there any way to create a custom report with this level of detail if it isnt possible with the inbuilt reports?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

There is no report that can show you the size of an "active" chain straight away, but you may run Job history for a time period of the active chain and sum up the amount of transferred data of each job session. E.g. if you perform backups daily and a full backup is scheduled for a weekday, you may run the report for the latest week to get the size of the active chain.

Keep in mind that the offloading process has its own unique deduplication (block re-use) logic built-in, so the size of the restore points on the performance tier does not necessarily represent the amount of data to be offloaded to capacity tier. Also, when you are configuring the copy mode within SOBR, there is another option (mind the popup) allowing you to copy all backups stored on the repository to the object storage instead of copying just the active backup chain.

Additionally, for sizing object storage you may use the calculator written by one of our system engineers, just make sure the REFS/XFS checkmark is ticked.

I hope this helps! Thanks.