Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BrandonJBegg
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Brandon Begg

Replication Question

Post by BrandonJBegg »

I had to blow away and recreate some replicas for two critical servers. One is several terabytes, so I had to postpone our daily backup job of the same server last night so it wouldn’t stop it. But it’s still going, and likely won’t finish again today. I can’t leave the backup job disabled for several days as it is too critical.

When it’s interrupted by the backup job tonight, does VEEAM keep a record of the data it has processed of the replica so far and resume where it left off? Or does it start that VM replica from scratch?

Any insight would help a lot.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Replication Question

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Brandon and welcome to the community!
You cannot pause the job, however, you have an option to stop the job gracefully, so VMs that are currently being processed will finish their restore points and then the job will be terminated.
It will help if you have 2 servers in same job and one hasn't started to be replicated. Otherwise graceful termination don't save time and just keep waiting until replication is finished.
If you terminate the job, next time it will start from the scratch.
Thanks
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Post by bdufour »

id imagine these replicas are at some sort of offsite datacenter being replicated over the wan? if so, you may need to get a seed out to that site and replica from that.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Yes, that's a good point. Brandon, you can read about replica seeding here.
cerberus
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Mirza

[MERGED] What happens to VM replication job progress when they are stopped before completing?

Post by cerberus »

Hello,

Using VBR10 to replicate over WAN, using Veeam many-to-one WAN accelerators to help with the process, so far works great for 90% of our VMs.

I have a few Exchange VMs that are large (TBs) and the initial seed is taking a long time, running into the scheduled backup window. I noticed that when the backup job starts, it stops the replication job that has the same VM (Error: Stopped by job 'Nightly Backup for Applications' (Backup)).

This is interesting, I was worried the backup job would be stuck "waiting" for the replication to finish before it started, seems that the scheduled backup job takes priority and (forcefully or gracefully?) stops the replication.

What happens in this case to the replication progress? There large VMs will take 24hr+ for initial replication. If they are stopped by the backup job, what happens the next time I kick off the replication job? Is all previous progress lost or will it continue where it left off (CBT tracking and all)? Is there any benefit of stopping replication "gracefully" manually before the backup job starts?

My backup jobs are less than 1hr and they need to run on schedule, replica seeding is not an option because we don't have VBR with repositories at destination to import into.

Running VBR10, VMWare environment at source/destination, replication from backup repository instead of production.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
looks like the same question like above?

I see two solutions: wait until replication finished successfully over WAN, or do seeding.

Best regards,
Hannes