Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
albrow
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alex Brown

Using Veeam to migrate Exchange 2016 Public Folders from on-prem to Exchange Online

Post by albrow »

I've been trying to migrate our Public Folder Mailbox from our on-premises Exchange server to Exchange Online using the "standard" method (read: a long string of PowerShell commands). So far I've been hitting problems because of the amount of legacy objects in the Public Folder Mailbox, such as old Offline Address Books and things related to Schedule+. I can't find any way of deleting these old objects.

I was wondering if I could use VBR to migrate our Public Folder Mailbox from on-prem to ExchOnline by doing the following:
  1. Triple-check the backup of the Public Folder Mailbox
  2. Remove the Public Folder Mailbox from on-prem, plus any part-migrated references on ExchOnline
  3. Restore the Mailbox to ExchOnline
Has anyone tried this? Are there any risks? We don't have any email addresses associated with any of our public folders, so I'm not worried about losing those.
nikolaj
Expert
Liked: 57 times

Re: Using Veeam to migrate Exchange 2016 Public Folders from on-prem to Exchange Online

Post by nikolaj »

Hi albrow!

Seems like you have quite a peculiar task on your hands.
Out of curiosity, have you had any luck with it recently?

I assume you are referring to this set of PS scripts, right?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchan ... erver-2019
Have you tried contacting Microsoft support to get assistance with exceptional cases?

I don't have a ton of expertise with mailbox migration but I'm concerned that your suggested approach might not succeed on step 3, due to the conflicts that you've outlined.