Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
asdec
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: charles lins

Backup server and NAS remote

Post by asdec »

Guys, I need some advice.
I work in an association and there is a windows server. I would like to use Veeam to backup locally and on a remote NAS.
The backup could be Bare metal or just a folder. What do you indicate to me?
I use Windows Backup today, but there are limitations to making remote backups.

Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup server and NAS remote

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

It depends on your needs. I prefer full machine backup because that's easy and I cannot forget anything.

to clarify: do you have the full product "Veeam Backup & Replication" or are you planning to only run one agent as standalone?

With one standalone agent, keep in mind that you probably need to do "active full" backups regularly. That's because backup over WAN to a remote NAS normally needs a gateway server on the target side for performance reasons. https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Best regards,
Hannes
asdec
Novice

Post by asdec »

Thanks for the quick response.
What I would really like is to have a FULL copy and the next ones are incremental, without deleting the old ones.
I have a folder with several subfolders that is shared and at one time or another I need to recover a file that someone deleted or became corrupted.
I'm afraid to pay a Veeam license for little recourse.
That's why I ask for advice.

I was wanting to test both free forms. But I believe that this version will not do remote backup, no?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hello Charles,

Could you please clarify one detail:
I would like to use Veeam to backup locally and on a remote NAS.
As far as I understand you have a storage for backups on the local site and another storage on the remote site? If that's true, then I'd suggest to run primary backup job locally and to use backup copy job to transfer data to the remote site. This approach will allow you to shorten backup window and to stay within 3-2-1 rule. By default, backup copy works in forever incremental mode, you will have one full and a set of incrementals. As Hannes has said, it would be also nice to have the gateway server on the remote site to increase performance.
By the way, all that is available in Veeam Community Edition.

However, Veeam Agent for Windows in standalone mode to the shared folder repository might be an option if you don't have a backup repository on the local site.

Thanks!
asdec
Novice

Post by asdec » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the answer and advice.
I explain better, in the company I have an external HD where I make the daily backup and, I would like to do the same in a NAS DS1817 + that is in my residence.
I tried once again to use VEEAM free (local backup) and did not deliver as promised, as I did not make backups according to the schedule.
I will install Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition again without Agent windows, to see if I can solve this problem.