Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pdimarco
Veeam Software
Liked: 38 times
Full Name: Pascal DiMarco

VBR networking decyphering tool is online

Post by pdimarco » 6 people like this post

Hi to you all.

I am releasing a VBR networking decyphering tool to ease network requirements comprehension and determine requested ports to open during POCs or implementation. It is possible to generate an XLS file to make ports requirement readable by networking people.

The tool is available at https://veeambp.com/ through "Veeam network ports tool" link.

So far, it covers VBR v10 only. More to come

If you spot an error, just let me know in this thread.

Each tab is a step. At the end of each step you have to “submit” your input.
In case you need it, a “reset” button is zeroing current input and all dependancies.
By the end, you’ll have a “XLS” button to download the result in human readable format.

Step 1 – Choose whatever you want to do with VBR. Backup, restore, externalize, whatever. Let yourself be guided by the dropdowns.
Note: if you chose a precise operation, like application aware backup, all prerequisites operations – like crash consistent backup - will be selected for you. But beware, restore will not induce backup, just because you might want only to restore pre existing backups.

Step 2 – Depending on submitted operations, you have to narrow the infrastructure. Repository type, Proxy transport mode, object storage type…
Note: do not forget anything at this step, I did not implement many controls here.

Step 3 – Enter the list of the servers (hostname/IP) and map the roles to these servers. Of course, a server can host multiple roles. In case of mistake, you can unmap. In case you don’t need it, you can Ignore a role – Enterprise Manager for instance.

Step 4 – review results and export to XLS file.

Thanks for your feedback.
Pascal
mdiver
Veeam Legend
Liked: 33 times

Re: VBR networking decyphering tool is online

Post by mdiver »

Hi Pascal.

Great idea, the decyphering tool.
Though I'm struggling with some issues.

Even if I set up application VMs to determine their port needs throughout an app.item recovery, they never show up in the final list.
Besides that I never manage to assign VBEM role. This role does not accept any server I generate.
Finally, the host connections in a Hyper-V scenario did also never show up in my table, even when I had the Hyper-V host properly set up.

Will the tool be maintained?
A great feature would also be, not only to be able to export the results, but also the whole setup to work on it at a later time again.

Thanks and best regards,
Mike
pdimarco
Veeam Software
Liked: 38 times
Full Name: Pascal DiMarco

Post by pdimarco »

Hi @mdiver , can you please send me screenshots of each step so I can reproduce your issue ?

Pascal
AlexHeylin
Veeam Legend
Liked: 173 times
Full Name: Alex Heylin

Post by AlexHeylin »

@pdimarco
Thanks for this. Although the matrix has been improved after I opened a case about missing ports, it's still a lot to wade through and it's very easy to miss something.
mdiver
Veeam Legend
Liked: 33 times

Post by mdiver »

pdimarco wrote: Apr 06, 2021 8:54 am Hi @mdiver , can you please send me screenshots of each step so I can reproduce your issue ?

Pascal
Hi @pdimarco.

Sorry, it took some time. But I prepared a PDF with screenshots:
https://1drv.ms/b/s!Anm_EKaG8jxttPpVG8N ... w?e=0KkVrS

Thanks for having a look.

Regards,
Mike