Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jmc
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: jmc

CDP - How many VM's

Post by jmc »

hello @,

i have 2 general questions:

1:
how many vm's can i replicate simultaneously with cdp and a B&R, vcenter and cdp proxy server. Is there a formula to calculate? all systems are connected via 10 gb. the storages with 16 gb fc. as an example the recommended 15 sec would be possible.

2:
does it make more sense to replicate every 15 seconds even if the rpo of 1 hour is sufficient or should the 1 hour be taken as the rpo?

thank you
jeff
Everybody ask why the dinosaurs are gone - nobody ask why they are lived so long
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: CDP - How many VM's

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
1) I put together some general recommendations in this whitepaper: https://www.veeam.com/wp-top-10-best-pr ... ckups.html The recommendation to start with is around 500-750 VMs per VBR server (well, it's more 1500 virtual disks per VBR server, but most people don't know the number of disks) and around 150 VMs (500 disks) per policy.

Do you have answers about your average storage throughput? post408368.html#p408368 ?

How many VMs are you planning to replicate? If we are talking about a hand full of VMs, then you might just go with the minimum requirements.

2) smaller RPO is probably better for your hardware... consider the amount of RAM / cache you need for 30min (half of the RPO time is collection time, half of the time is sending time)

Best regards,
Hannes
jmc
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: jmc

Post by jmc »

hi hannes,

thank's a lot for that. i want to disable my vreplication and switch over to veeam cdp.

for that a new question: when i set all rpo to 15 sec. i have up to approx 200 vm's to replicate. should i take it in one job or better in many?

jeff
Everybody ask why the dinosaurs are gone - nobody ask why they are lived so long
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I would go with 4 policies. That's 50 machines per policy and leaves room for more machines in future without changing the policies.

Best regards,
Hannes