Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
One
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: One

VMware Cloud Director 10.2 VMs cannot be backed up if using OVDC Group Edge gateways.

Post by One »

I've encountered an issue in backing up VMs / vApps in VCD after adding a Edge Gateway in the VCD Org as a Group Edge Gateway.

I have an open Veeam support case: #04690111

I would really appreciate if someone could attempt to reproduce this issue to confirm if this is a general compatibility issue or something specific to my environment.

Software used:
VMware Cloud Director 10.2 (oct 2020 release)
Veeam B&R 11
NSX-T (not NSX-V / NSX for vSphere)

This is reproduceable (at least in my environment) as follows:
- Create test Org and Org VDC with Edge Gateway and a test VM.
- (optional) Create backup job to confirm working.
- Create Org VDC Group.
- (optional) Retest backup job - should still be working.
- Promote the Edge Gateway to a Group Edge Gateway.
- Run backup job. Backups will now fail with an "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." type error.

Background: VCD 10.2 introduced the ability to configure Distributed Firewall Rules within the VCD web ui when using NSX-T. Previously, this had to be done in NSX Manager.
To enable the Distributed firewall you must create an Org VDC group and add your Org VDC to the group. At this point, you will be able to see the Distributed FW and create rules but it wont work (VMware bug? took a while to figure this out).
To make the Distributed firewall function you must then add your existing T1 Edge Gateway as a Group Edge Gateway. The VCD interface even says that this does not change the underlying Org NWs in any way.

Troubleshooting so far: I have a case open with Veeam and VMware. We have identified that the backup fails because it cannot find the Org network in VCD. This can be confirmed by running a Get-OrgVdcNetwork PowerCLI command. The Org NWs for the Orgs with a Group Edge Gateway will not show up. If you try to specify the exact ID, you get the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." error.
Using the new Open API v35 for VCD you can successfully issue a GET on /1.0.0/orgVdcNetworks and see all networks for all Orgs, regardless of if they are using a Group Edge Gateway or not. You can use the API explorer (swagger) to easily test this.

My guess is that VMware have not updated the SDK which Veeam use to interact with VCD nor have they updated PowerCLI to be compatible with Group Edge Gateways.

I'd be grateful if someone could try to replicate this in their environment..
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: VMware Cloud Director 10.2 VMs cannot be backed up if using OVDC Group Edge gateways.

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Do you use N-VDS or VDS ?
One
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: One

Re: VMware Cloud Director 10.2 VMs cannot be backed up if using OVDC Group Edge gateways.

Post by One »

VDS v7
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

VDS after vSphere 7 works differently than N-VDS from API perspective and we are working for supporting this.
Let me check if there is a patch available already.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

We are planning to support NSX-t in combination with VDS (in addition to current N-VDS support) with v11 Commulative Patch 2 that will be released soon.
This will include as well support for VMware Cloud on AWS SDDC 1.15 (M15) that uses VDS by default as well. Availablility of CP2 can be checked here: veeam-backup-replication-f2/current-version-t9456.html
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

VDS support was added to NSX-t in the today released Commulative Patch
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... 10#network