Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
PapaSmurf
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ben Richardson

v6 backup folders

Post by PapaSmurf »

We have upgraded to v6 and everything is working as expected, however.....

I notice any new jobs added in v6 have a sub folder created for them. So I now have my main folder with legacy VM backups, then some folders containing newly created backups and it looks a bit messy.

Is there any way to either a) disable sub folder creation for new jobs or b) move legacy backups to their own folders? I guess I could re-create the old jobs but that could be somewhat time consuming!

Otherwise top marks for v6! My reverse incrementals appear to be working much faster :-)

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: v6 backup folders

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ben,

You cannot disable new sub folders creation, but what you could really do is move "legacy" backup files to their own subfolders, rescan repository to locate those files and then map existing backup jobs to these backup files.

Thanks for your positive feedback on v6!
PapaSmurf
Influencer

Post by PapaSmurf »

Thanks Vitaliy,

Procedure all good until mapping the existing job back - as after rescanning the repositry the selection now shows 2. I'm assuming one is the new folder and the other is the old one in the root folder (that no longer exists on the disk) - but I can't establish which is which.

Thanks for your help
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ben, you need to navigate to Backups node on the left - > choose corresponding backup files and compare the "Repository" column to locate the ones you need to use, after that just remove "legacy" backup files from inventory and map your jobs to the backup files that were moved to a sub folder. Thanks!
PapaSmurf
Influencer

Post by PapaSmurf »

Thansk Vitaliy, but the repositry columns show the same (This server: Z:\VM in my case).

Delete both and re-scan? I'll await your reply first
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you need to remove them from inventory (do NOT delete them from disk) and then perform a rescan task, should help.
PapaSmurf
Influencer

Post by PapaSmurf »

Thanks Vitaliy,

All understood now. Here's the fully tested procedure I'm going to go through for all jobs created before the upgrade;

1. Make sure you have at least one successful run for the backup jobs after upgrade to v6.
2. Remove the Backup (from backups, NOT disk)
3. Move backup files to newly created folder
4. Rescan repositry
5. Edit job, on storage page click map backup - and select the backup (there should only be one)

DONE. Hopefully this helps any others wanting to acheive the same.

Vitaliy - you may want to pass this information to your support staff, as the answer to ticket 5158460 was there was nothing I could do :-(

Thanks again,and keep up the good work!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ben, I've just made a small correction (added one step more) to your procedure, all the rest looks good!