Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pmaa
Novice
Liked: never

Cloning repository to new drive

Post by pmaa »

I have a Windows 10 VM on a Linux host running Veeam to backup ESXi servers. The hard drive for the backups was created with the default NTFS 4K cluster size so it can't be extended beyond 16 TB. I need to extend it by a few TB.

The host doesn't have enough space to hold an exact copy, so to copy the Veeam repository drive to a new drive I thought of doing it like this:

1. Stop Veeam services on the backup server.
2. Copy everything from the repo drive to another host over SMB.
3. Delete the repo drive and create a new drive with larger cluster size and same drive letter.
4. Copy the data back to the new drive.
5. Start Veeam services.

Would this work without issues? What are the services I need to stop? Would the Veeam Backup database be fine after this?

What about a modified scenario where instead of adding a larger virtual hard drive, going forward I'd use an NFS drive or repository on the Linux host where the VM itself is?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Cloning repository to new drive

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Yup, your plan will work just fine! That is if Repository Type and drive letter preserves.
It might be good idea to quickly pass through Repository settings wizard after this change(Next-Next-Finish style) for us to rescan the new Free Space number.

As for the switching Repository type completely, that is a more tricky case of migration. We have a Backup Migration KB for you here.

/Cheers!