Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Stefan74
Novice
Liked: never

v6 - VM restore including original snapshots

Post by Stefan74 »

Hi,

in v5 it was possible to restore a VM including the snapshots that existed at the time of the job run without consolidating the snapshots into a flat file.
This was done by using the 'legacy network' transport mode.
I wasn't able to find an equivalent *job* option in v6. 'Network' can be selected as transport mode for a backup proxy, but this affects all jobs. Adding multiple instances of the same proxy with different transport mode settings isn't possible either.
Is there any other solution to enable restores with original snapshots intact in v6?

thanks,
Stefan
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6704 times

Re: v6 - VM restore including original snapshots

Post by Gostev »

Hi Stefan, no it is no longer possible to backup VM including snapshot chain. Legacy transport method that was capable of doing this was removed from v6 as incompatible with vSphere 5. Thanks!
Novell2
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Zeller Werner

VMware View Master with Snapshots

Post by Novell2 »

[merged]

Hi,
normally I am strict to do not have snapshots. But in VMware View the Windows Master has several Snapshost. Can I do a normal Backup, that include all my snappshots?
I need to do in a desaster or the software is corrupt to go on a specific snapshotpoint.
Is that possible with Veeam V6?

Thanks a lot for your answer!

Novell2
Stefan74
Novice
Liked: never

Re: v6 - VM restore including original snapshots

Post by Stefan74 »

Hi Novell2,

an 'online' backup of a VM including snapshot information doesn't seem to be possible with Veeam v6. This could previously be done by bypassing the vSphere Storage API (using a legacy network transport mode).
The only thing I could imagine would be to do a file based backup of the VM files (VMs need to be powered off). In case of a desaster you'll have to register the copied VM files manually in vCenter.

cheers,
Stefan
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Backing up a VM with snapshots

Post by marius roma »

[merged]

I looked at the FAQ and at the manual, but I was unable to locate the answer to a very basic question: what happens if I backup a VM with two or more snapshots?
Can I restore single snapshots from the backup?
Can I restore the VM and revert to a given snapshot?
I found lots of information about the way Veeam Backup uses snapshots during the backup proccess, no information abouyt backing up and restoring existing snapshots...
Regards
marius