Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
snowmizer
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Email Notification on Disk Space Warnings

Post by snowmizer »

Is there a way to send an email notification when the free disk space falls below the specified level in the "Tools>Option>Notifications" section? I've looked through this forum and in the documentation but haven't found an answer. Based on the documentation it appears that it only displays a message on the console (or backup job) if the free space falls below the threshold. Would be nice if an email could be generated in this case.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Email Notification on Disk Space Warnings

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello snowmizer,

Disclaimer: I haven't tested it, but it should work - you can always configure to notify you via email messages about jobs with warnings, which will report you on arising disk space issues for your jobs.

Thank you.
snowmizer
Enthusiast

Post by snowmizer »

Actually talked to support about this while I was working with them on another issue. Turns out that you cannot send email notifications for disk space warnings when a threshold is reached. The only way the job will notify you is if it is already failing because of space. It would be nice to know about space issues BEFORE the job runs into an issue. For now I'll have to submit a feature request as well as configure one of our monitoring servers to watch for space issues and receive notifications in this manner.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Not quite sure what your were talking about with support. These warning are included in the job's email report, and the job will start logging those during each run as soon as the threshold is reached. So if you monitor your backup email reports, you will spot the issue before it causes a problem (just a matter of correct threshold). And if you don't monitor them, then there is a slew of other issues you may overlook, not just this one...
snowmizer
Enthusiast

Post by snowmizer »

We had another question about rollups and that's what I was talking to support about. As far as the notification, I agree that if you don't monitor your jobs then you'll miss other things as well. We just had an instance this weekend where the person on call didn't attend to the fact that the backup failed because of disk space. I realize this is an issue that needs to be addressed on our end. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a way to set up email notifications on disk space warnings.

Thanks.