Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Stephan23
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Stephan

Memory requirements database server

Post by Stephan23 »

Support case # 04738096

We have one tape job that consumes a massive (compared to before) amount of memory on the Veeam database server after it ran for a couple of hours.
At some point it gets so severe, that other veeam processes and the SQL server are impacted, so that the console gets extremely slow/unresponsive, other jobs fail, until ultimately the tape job itself fails.

The server had 8GB RAM before, which already met the system requirements and didn't have any issues for months. In response to the support technician, who pointed out the system requirements, I increased the memory to 12GB. The issue persisted: The process Veeam.Backup.Manager.exe, that correlates to the tape job, now uses 8.5GB compared to 4.5GB when things break.
The tape server itself is a sperate hardware with 192GB RAM which is unaffected.

We have this issue since upgrading to V11 (11.0.0.837). For me it looks like a severe software bug or memory leak, unless there are undocumented changes of the system requirements of V11?

I'm also very unhappy with the support case so far:
I get questions that already have been answered, I get explanations of something completely unrelated while missing the important point I was making.
I don't feel understood and the issue is not taken as seriously as I think it should be.
Suggestions of making a phone call / remote sessions have been ignored.

Sorry for venting my anger here, but I'm facing the second weekend in a row without tapes and I'm not optimistic, that the support can or will help me.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Memory requirements database server

Post by PetrM »

Hello Stephan,

You may ask to escalate the support case if you think it's not on the right track. Basically, I believe that Veeam.Backup.Manager.exe process profile or dump might show the cause of the memory leak but this kind of analysis must be performed by support engineers anyway.

Thanks!
Stephan23
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Stephan

Post by Stephan23 »

I already raised the severity to 2, because I had to wait one day every damn time to get a response. But that didn't change anything.
So I followed your advice to escalate the case. Let's see what happens. Thank you.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello Stephan,

The issue is not trivial and usually it takes time to isolate the root cause but I'm sure that our team will be able to explain the behavior and to propose an appropriate solution or workaround.

Thanks!