Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JaySt
Service Provider
Liked: 75 times
Full Name: JaySt

combining Veeam Essentials perpetual sockets and VUL

Post by JaySt »

i've got a situation of which i'm not sure how to proceed.
I've got a customer with a Veeam Essentials Enterprise bundle, 6 sockets licensed for 3 VMware hosts. It's required to backup a Windows Virtual Machine on a physical server outside of the VMware cluster licensed with ESXi free. Completely standalone.
Now, i have instances available in the license which i could use to license the agent, but i thought there were some license limitations being enforced (from v10 onwards?) when the agent is installed on a virtual machine with unlicensed physical sockets.

am i correct when saying this agent will not backups in this case?
If i am correct: What options to i have in this case? i cannot expand my socket licenses beyond the essentials socket limit of 6 and i cannot use the agent (with instance licenses) because of absence of the socket license for underlying hypervisor.
Veeam Certified Engineer
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: combining Veeam Essentials perpetual sockets and VUL

Post by veremin »

Now, i have instances available in the license which i could use to license the agent, but i thought there were some license limitations being enforced (from v10 onwards?) when the agent is installed on a virtual machine with unlicensed physical sockets
It applies only to virtual host already added to backup console. In your case the host is not added to backup server and there are no resources on it that are protected by VM backup job. So, you can easily install and back this machine up with agents.

Thanks!
JaySt
Service Provider
Liked: 75 times
Full Name: JaySt

Post by JaySt »

ah, so the key is to not add the hypervisor running the VM to the VBR console. I thought it was even a bit more restricted, but good that it isn't.
Veeam Certified Engineer
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yes, as long as the host is not added to backup console explicitly, you can back up VMs running on it through agents (as if they were physical machines) and do not face the said restriction. Thanks!