Management reporting and documentation
cpm30
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Montague

Protected VM Report Exclusions

Post by cpm30 »

Good afternoon,

Is aware aware of a way to exclude VMs from the protected VMs report in Veeam One by vSphere Tag? We backup based off tag and have a special tag for machines that do not need to be backed up. Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Protected VM Report Exclusions

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
that's possible indirectly if you use business view and then run the protected VMs report against that business view.

Multiple-condition categorization has "Tag" https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/one/m ... ml?ver=110. Just put in all VMs that have a tag except those that have "no-backup" tag

Best regards,
Hannes
cpm30
Service Provider

Post by cpm30 »

Thanks for that! So I went through Business View and created a Protected VMs (site) category for each of our vCenter environments, however it is including all VMs in all vCenters that have that specific tag even though the categories and groups are scoped just to that vCenter.

Examples of categories:

Example of category setting:

Example of group setting:
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Chris,

This is expected because an individual vCenter is not defined in the group and category settings.

You need to add a condition to the group to exclusively define a particular vCenter or any other infrastructure object and then exclude those tags that are not required within the settings of the group using another condition connected with the first one by "AND" operator. This will allow you to build a report on all VMs within a particular vCenter, except VMs having a specific tag, and will also take into account newly created tags that may appear in the future.

Thanks
cpm30
Service Provider

Post by cpm30 »

Thanks, Fedor. When I set the groups up and choose the tag initially, it allowed me to choose the vCenter in the tag menu, so I assumed it would have looked there. I went through a couple of the groups, and set the conditions to be tag equals "backuptag" AND virtual infrastructure equals "vcenter", but it tells me there are no objects in the group. I should be able to scope the virtual infrastructure at the vCenter level correct? I am going to try your suggestion of using the not-equal to the tags of not backed up VMs next.. just thought I should mention this.

wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for replying back.

Please try selecting Contains instead of Equals in the second condition and make sure a vCenter is chosen as a value. In reality, infrastructure location is defined using a "path" to an object. Since your VMs have a path like "\\VI\vCenter\Datacenter\Cluster\Host\ResourcePool\VMname" and there are no VMs in the "\\VI\Datacenter\Cluster\vCenter" path the output is empty. Changing Equals to Contains will make the product look into all paths containing "\\VI\Datacenter\Cluster\vCenter" which in turn will make the group work as expected. I understand this may not be an obvious logic, but hopefully, my post clarifies it a little bit.

Thanks