Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
AllenE
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Allen E.

Copy Schedule from Other Vendor to Veeam

Post by AllenE »

Hi, I'm am planning for a backup migration from Vendor V over to Veeam. Currently my main challenge is how to replicate the schedule over to Veeam. The current setup is below.

SQL Server

Policy 1: Full Backup (09:00-06:00 Sat-Mon)
Policy 2: Diff-Incremental (00:00-08:00 Mon-Fri) - I will use Incremental only in Veeam.
Policy 3: Database Backup (02:30-08:30 Daily)

My approach is to create a Single Policy in Veeam with Application Aware enabled and set it to run Daily @ 00:00 then control the schedule using Backup Window. That means I will configure the backup windows based on it's existing schedule from the old backup policy.

I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions? Another option that I want to avoid is to create 2 separate policies for Full and Incremental w/ App Aware enabled for both policies.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Copy Schedule from Other Vendor to Veeam

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
as you sound new to Veeam and posted in the Veeam Agent for Windows forum... just a hint in case you missed it: for SQL and other applications Veeam works agentless. So if you use VMware or Hyper-V, hypervisor backup does the job. No agent needed / recommended.

The schedule between VMs / agents is the same, so you can adopt my answer.

yes, one job is good. everything else is just complicated and wasting disk space.

For SQL, log shipping can be configured in the application aware processing settings. https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Unfortunately I'm not really sure what the old schedule really does or what the goal is. With Veeam, every incremental backup is a logical full backup. Databases are backed up like any other data. The only difference is the separate log-shipping to allow point-in-time restore https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Best regards,
Hannes