Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
MatzeB
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Matthias Beller

How to modify port of S3 Object Storage Repository

Post by MatzeB »

Hello,

we currently have a Netapp Storage Grid S3 object store where the network port will change. So away from 8082 to probably https 443. Unfortunately the port cannot be edited in the GUI after creating the repository as it is greyed out.

What are the possibilities to modify the port afterwards?
A new creation of the repository would be related to some dependencies, so we are looking forward to find another solution.

Many greetings
Matze
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: How to modify port of S3 Object Storage Repository

Post by veremin »

You cannot update the port with UI, nor with PowerShell. The recommended and tested approach in this case is the following:

1) Add new object storage repository, using the same bucket and folder, but different service point (new port)
2) Replace old object storage repository with new object storage repository in the setting of Scale-Out Backup Repository

After that, everything should work smoothly.

Thanks!
MatzeB
Veeam Vanguard

Post by MatzeB »

Hey, thanks for the fast reply. I will try in our test environment and provide you feedback.

Regards
Matze
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Good, keep us updated, we've tried the suggested workaround in our labs before posting, and haven't found any issues, but it does not harm to double check. Thanks!
MatzeB
Veeam Vanguard

Post by MatzeB »

I promised to give feedback after I did the change. Here are the steps I have done.

- I added an additional Object Storage Repository with the new port
- After that two Object Storage Repositorys are visible (old and new one), which are pointing to the same S3 storage with the same bucket/folder.
- After editing the scale out repository it says there are already backup files and does a rescan
- After changing the object store within the scale out repository, the old object storage repository (which I wanted to delete) disappears from the repository overview, that's a strange point.
- Also under "Object Storage" I don't see my backup job anymore
- Then I started a backup job, the job was successful, because it only writes to performance tier
- But the upload failed with the error: Scale-out repository rescan is required: performance tier is not synchronized with capacity tier
- started rescan manually, you can see it under History/System this rescan ran for about 10 minutes
- After that you can see the backups again under "Object Storage"
- Then a tiering job was started manually (press CTRL, right click Tier now)
- The tiering job ran after that, first showed that old backup files were uploaded. I think these were not really uploaded but just checked, because only a small amount of data was transferred. The transferred amount of data is 50MB, in this test job was only one VM. The runtime of the offload job was over 2 hours.

With this the modification (change of the port) is successfully completed. One thing i don't understand is why my old Object Storage Repository isn't visible under the repository overview. But i can still select the old (hidden?!) one during a scale out modify. Any Ideas?

Regards
Matze
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Just to clarify - you cannot see the actual repository in Backup Infrastructure - Repository view? Or you're talking about backups from old extent not shown under object storage node? Thanks!
MatzeB
Veeam Vanguard

Post by MatzeB »

Sorry describing in words is always complicated.
Here you can see my repository overview. Im missing the "iSCSI-ScaleOut-S3-Repository-S3-TEST-Extend" there.

But if i modify my orginal Scale-Out-Repo i can see both "iSCSI-ScaleOut-S3-Repository-S3-TEST-Extend" (old one with port 8082) and "iSCSI-ScaleOut-S3-Repository-S3-TEST-Extend-444" (because 444 is my no port just for testing).

Also wenn i create a complete new Scale-Out-Repo i can choose "iSCSI-ScaleOut-S3-Repository-S3-TEST-Extend".
So why i can't see it in the overview but i can take it in the dropdown menu?
To clarify, everything works. But I assumed that I would have to delete the "old" Object Store memory at the end, but it is no longer visible.

PS: You can ignore everything with *PROD*
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

This does not look expected - previously used repository should be still visible in general repository view. So, can you open a support ticket so I can ask QA team to take a proper look at the problem occurred?
MatzeB
Veeam Vanguard

Post by MatzeB » 1 person likes this post

thanks for confirming veremin, i opened a technical support case 04753549 for this.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Passed the information to QA team - will update the thread, once I have more information to share.