Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
sysinfma
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Chris

Restore: File to Tape vs Backup to Tape

Post by sysinfma »

Hello,

we want to back up 4 VMs and to copy a full backup to tape every day.

There seem to be two options to achieve that:
1) Run reverse incremental backups that are then transferred to tape using "Backup to Tape"
2) Run a separate active full backup and transfer it to tape using "File to Tape"

We would prefer to use option 2) because a) reverse incremental backups can't be combined with the option to create active full backups every week or month and b) "Backup to Tape" requires Enterprise edition.

Now we would like to know if option 2) is any different when it comes to restoring the VMs in case of a disaster. Would the restore process be the same for both options?

Thank you!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Restore: File to Tape vs Backup to Tape

Post by PetrM »

Hello and Welcome to our Community Forums,

The restore process is different. Option 1 requires manual import of the full backup after restore from tape is completed. The option 2 allows you whether to restore VM from tape to infrastructure or to restore a backup to repository. Also, the option 1 is much more flexible from backup perspective because you can process both full and incremental restore points to tapes.

Thanks!
sysinfma
Enthusiast

Post by sysinfma »

Thanks for your reply!

For us, restoration from tape is only the last resort if restore from NAS fails or if severe disaster occurs and we need to recover using a tape from offsite.

To be honest I'm still not sure if Option 1 really is advantageous as we don't need incremental backups on tape.
Are there any other arguments for Option 1 that can rectify an additional charge of ~100% for the then needed enterprise license?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

By the way, I confused options in my previous post: I wanted to say that the manual import is required with the option 2 but the option 1 provides more restore options. Sorry for inconvenience.

Basically, the option 1 gives better flexibility for both backup and restore options, this is the main advantage.

Thanks!
sysinfma
Enthusiast

Post by sysinfma » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the clarification, I indeed wasn't sure if backup to tape would really require the manual import and be less flexible.

We'll try using File to Tape now.