Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
CH79
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Chris

Upgrading NAS - what do we do with Veeam backups?

Post by CH79 »

Hello all,

We use a NAS to store all of our on-premises Veeam backups. We have backups of all our Hyper-V virtual machines going back at least a month stored on the NAS.

Due to increased storage requirements we are soon going to be increasing the storage capacity of the NAS but we need to ensure that we have a copy of all the Veeam backup files beforehand.

What is the best practice/recommended method of retaining all of the existing Veeam backup files on the NAS? Can they be exported and then reimported? We'd need everything i.e. all restore points.

Can we copy the 'Backup Job 1' and 'VeeamConfigBackup' folders to an alternative location, increase the storage and then copy them back again afterwards?

Thanks in advance

Support case number is 04755827
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Upgrading NAS - what do we do with Veeam backups?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I assume https://www.veeam.com/kb1729 answers everything :-)

Best regards,
Hannes

PS: I asked support to close the case, as it's a how-to question and not a technical issue
CH79
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Chris

Post by CH79 »

Because of the amount of backup data there is on the NAS (approx. 8TB) we wouldn't have an alternative storage location with enough space to accommodate all of the files

What we're thinking of doing is copying the backups files to some external USB drives that we have spare (i.e. split the files up over 3/4 drives), install the new drives in the NAS and then simply copying the files back to the NAS afterwards, maintaining the same folder structure.

The net result is that to Veeam, the backup files would still be in the exact same location as they were before they were moved.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

as long as everything goes back to the correct location, the software will be fine with it.