Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
borgiaj
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Joe Borgia

Migrate Physical Repo disks to a new proxy server

Post by borgiaj »

Hi all.

I have a NAS unit with two disks directly connected to one of my current physical repository servers. I've built a new physical server to create as a new proxy (haven't added it as a proxy yet) and I want to move these two direct connected NAS disks to this new physical proxy server, ensuring that I can perform backups and recoveries to these repo disks following the move. I imagine that I need to connect the NAS to the new proxy server prior to adding the server to the configuration as a proxy, but I'm not sure of the process.

I'm looking for some advice on how to accomplish this task. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Migrate Physical Repo disks to a new proxy server

Post by foggy »

Hi Joe, after you present the storage to the new server, you would need to create a new repository pointing to it and re-point existing jobs there.
borgiaj
Enthusiast

Post by borgiaj »

Thanks for the quick response.

For clarification after looking over that document, the backup files are not moving to new storage. The storage device that the files live on will remain on the same disks where they currently are, just moved to a new proxy server. Would it still be the same process anyway? Also, if so, following the creation of a new repository with those files already existing, will I be able to recover files from the data that is already there? I guess I'm asking how Veeam B&R will know to look at this "new" (even though it already existed) repository for an FLR when they were being backed up to the old one? I am 100% certain I am WAY overthinking this. Sometimes I have a tendency to get in my own way. :D
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Right, the backups don't actually move but for Veeam B&R it is a different location (different path) so you need a new repo. Veeam B&R will rescan existing files there upon repository creation and you will be able to restore from them without any issues.
borgiaj
Enthusiast

Post by borgiaj » 1 person likes this post

Hi Foggy,

Just wanted to drop a note to let you know that option A in this article you gave me worked perfectly. Thank you so much for your assistance. Almost seemed too easy.

Thanks again.
Joe