Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GreenPanda
Novice
Liked: never

Impact of Revoking License on VM after Quick Migration

Post by GreenPanda »

Hello,

I am using Veeam Backup & Replication, Community Edition, v10.x to back up some VMs on 2 of my ESXi 6.7 systems in my homelab.

My question is - what are the implications of Revoking a License (Menu > License > Instaces > Manage > [Select a VM] > Revoke) on the original VM that was migrated through Quick Migration?

It seems that after having used Quick Migration, it is now double counting that VM (i.e. the instances tab lists both the UniqueVMName_Migrated on the InitialHost and the UniqueVMName on the ReceivingHost, after I edited the backup job to remove the *_Migrated VM, and add it on the new host)
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Impact of Revoking License on VM after Quick Migration

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
if you revoke a license, then one license gets freed. That means, you cannot backup the revoked VM anymore (well, it just takes another license again as long as you have free licenses).

VMs are counted by their managed object reference ID (moRefID). Even if VMs have the same name, they are two different VMs. Only backup counts. Please see the sticky FAQ http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 633#p85109

Best regards,
Hannes
GreenPanda
Novice

Post by GreenPanda »

Hi Hannes,

So if I understand correctly, revoking a license from a VM should have no impact to any backups already created (nor would it impact when restoring the VM from a previous backup)

It's merely used to manage the instance count for the number of machines that could be backed up by Veeam.
And this count is automatically updated when:
- A VM has not been backed up for 31 days, or
- A VM is backed up as part of a job, that was not previously included in that count.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Restore of data will never cost a license.
You can restore old vms or agents without any license.
You can also use Veeam Community Edition for a DR scenario.

Veeam won‘t remove the backup of a vm, until gfs retention or the deleted item retention is reached.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
It's merely used to manage the instance count for the number of machines that could be backed up by Veeam.
And this count is automatically updated when:
- A VM has not been backed up for 31 days, or
- A VM is backed up as part of a job, that was not previously included in that count.
You‘re absolutely correct :)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
GreenPanda
Novice

Post by GreenPanda »

Thank you both for taking the time to clarify my question. I really appreciate it!