Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
talltim
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Tim David

SureBackup Linked Jobs question

Post by talltim »

I've set up my Surebackup Jobs using the Linked jobs option rather than use Application Groups.
The thinking behind this is that
A: I can schedule them after the Backup job is run.
B: I won't need to update the Surebackup job as well if I add or remove a server from the Backup job

However. I recently removed a retired VM from a Backup job, before I created the linked Surebackup job. It doesn't show in the list of VMs if I go into the Advanced settings. When I the job runs it tries to test the removed VM and fails.

Anyone know where Surebackup get its list of VMs from when you use Linked jobs? How is this list updated?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: SureBackup Linked Jobs question

Post by PetrM »

Hi Tim,

Could you please clarify which error message do you see for the removed VM in SureBackup job statistics?

Thanks!
talltim
Enthusiast

Post by talltim »

I've got two different jobs with the same issue
For one of them the error is Error: Timed out waiting for heartbeat
The other one gets as far as booting the VM and running the heartbeat test successfully, but then fails on the ping.

Its like its not looking at the latest backup, as the VMs should not be in them.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

I would let our support team to identify the real root cause. I'm not sure that it's related to the fact that you removed a VM from backup job. Please don't forget to share a support case ID with us.

Thanks!
talltim
Enthusiast

Post by talltim »

OK, I'll log a case
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

I have a feeling it picks from the list of backups produced by a backup job, instead of a list of currently added VMs.
In this case, it would be expected to keep testing latest VM backup(even if VM was removed from the job) until its data is removed from a backup chain completely.

It does not explain failed ping behavior in any way, though.

/Cheers!
talltim
Enthusiast

Post by talltim »

I think the failed pings are due to a different issue I had with Windows firewall post409360.html . I've fixed this on live VMs, but obviously I can't do this on ones that no longer exist!
I've logged the issue as case ref 04749195
From what you and the engineer have both said, it looks like Surebackup picks up the list of backups available, rather than the the list of VMs backed up. This seems wrong to me, but in a situation where the ping doesn't fail, shouldn't cause failed jobs
Looking a the the VMs in the job in Home>Backups>Disk I can see the deleted VM has 3 restore points, whereas the rest have 18. I'm guessing that in 4 days time the server will disappear from here and stop causing an issue