Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
Symjett
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Simon Johansson

Enterprise Plus & Archive tier

Post by Symjett »

Hi

In Veeam v11 you guys have added the Archive tier. Amazing and efficient new feature if you want to move object storage between tiers. However, I find it weird that the requirement is Enterprise Plus licensing to be able to use Archive tier. In Azure, there already is a feature where you can move blobs from Capacity (Cool) tier to Archive tier called Lifecycle Management. I could just be using this but now that Veeam has added Archive tier to Backup & Replication I feel like it would be more efficient to control object storage tiering via Veeam. Enterprise license was the requirement for when Scale-out Repository was available to Veeam. A feature like Archive tier should then be available in Enterprise aswell in my opinion.

Is there a plan to add Archive tier to the Enterprise license in the future or am I gonna have to pay extra to be able to use Archive tier in Backup & Replication in the future?

Best regards, Simon
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Enterprise Plus & Archive tier

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
Archive tier called Lifecycle Management. I could just be using this
that would break the software (restores and probably other operations), so I recommend to not do that. keep in mind that Veeam works incremental forever... if you move objects that are still needed somewhere else, that will cause issues. also the costs are probably much higher, because a lifecycle management keeps the small objects instead of converting it to larger objects.

We have universal licensing since some time. That includes all features. So that's "the future" (well, that's reality today :-))

Best regards,
Hannes
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Right - even if it worked, the API costs would be insane without the object size optimization. However, it won't work because there's no way for the Lifecycle Management to determine if a certain object can be moved. So it will end up moving unchanged blocks used in the latest restore points.
Symjett wrote: Apr 20, 2021 7:25 amIs there a plan to add Archive tier to the Enterprise license in the future
As of last year, we no longer have different product editions available for sale in principle... these days you can only buy Veeam in a single, fully featured edition. Existing customers can keep using product editions they own, but there will be no functionality scope changes for them because all lower editions are effectively discontinued.

I recommend you talk to your Veeam sales representative about migrating your existing licenses to VUL. The migration policy is already in its 3rd major version, and it's been made very smooth based on all the feedback of the past few years.
Symjett
Influencer

Post by Symjett »

HannesK wrote: Apr 20, 2021 9:22 am Hello,

that would break the software (restores and probably other operations), so I recommend to not do that. keep in mind that Veeam works incremental forever... if you move objects that are still needed somewhere else, that will cause issues. also the costs are probably much higher, because a lifecycle management keeps the small objects instead of converting it to larger objects.

We have universal licensing since some time. That includes all features. So that's "the future" (well, that's reality today :-))

Best regards,
Hannes
I understand. But if we would use LifeCycle Management then we would only send up GFS full backups. If we would like to restore from those from the Archive tier that shouldn't be a problem? Since there aren't any incrementals that is chained to the full. Or will that still mess up the restore operations?

/ Simon
Symjett
Influencer

Post by Symjett »

Gostev wrote: Apr 20, 2021 3:44 pm Right - even if it worked, the API costs would be insane without the object size optimization. However, it won't work because there's no way for Lifecycle Management to determine if a certain object can be moved. So it will end up moving unchanged blocks used in the latest restore points.

As of last year, we no longer have different product editions available for sale in principle... these days you can only buy Veeam in a single, fully featured edition. Existing customers can keep using product editions they own, but there will be no functionality scope changes for them because all lower editions are effectively discontinued.

I recommend you talk to your Veeam sales representative about migrating your existing licenses to VUL. The migration policy is already in its 3rd major version, and it's been made very smooth based on all the feedback of the past few years.
Alright, that seems to be the best course of action. I'll look into this and see if we can migrate to VUL.

/ Simon
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

then we would only send up GFS full backups.
as I mentioned earlier... we work incremental forever. There are no GFS fulls in object storage. This is to save costs / disk space. I recommend to to browse the bucket to see all the objects
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Post by Gostev »

Basically, there are no "backup files" in object storage, because there's no file system in the first place.