Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
topry
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim O'Pry

What I miss from Version 5

Post by topry »

The ability to see the details for past jobs via forward/back buttons, without running a report.
In version 6, dbl-clicking on a job shows stats for only the last run. In version 5, you can page through the prior jobs.
While I like the additional detail in 6, it was very helpful to be able to quickly page through the job detail when looking for anomalies.

The only issues encountered to date were the first incremental being a full and the SQL issue on the Veeam VM.
Replication testing is next - looking forward to seeing the increases in performance.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: What I miss from Version 5

Post by Gostev »

Use the cursor keys when stats window is open to switch between sessions quickly.
topry
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim O'Pry

Post by topry »

Thanks, that works fine!
arthurp
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Arthur Pizyo

Post by arthurp »

Keyboard shortcuts work fine, but I really wonder why GUI arrows were removed (some users prefer mouse over keyboard)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

To reduce clutter in UI.
ThomasMc
Veteran
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Thomas McConnell

Post by ThomasMc »

If it was up to me then the whole GUI would go :D
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Post by Sethbartlett »

Haha I semi agree with thomas :P. I do agree though that I miss the previous/forward buttons.
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
stevenrodenburg1
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Steven Rodenburg

Post by stevenrodenburg1 »

arthurp wrote:some users prefer mouse over keyboard
A hard-core backup-man/woman prefers a keyboard. Mice are for wussies 8)
ns00h
Novice
Full Name: Nathan Simpson

Post by ns00h »

You know I don't know if I miss it as I can't even remember if it was there or not, but I don't like how I can only see the reason a job failed in a little balloon that disappears rather quickly. I know I can run a report but I just want to see why the job failed there and then.

Thanks
Nathan
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Right-click and copy it.
ChrisL
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Chris Leader

Post by ChrisL »

Can I add my own 'what I miss'?

In v5, when restoring a guest file, Veeam would mount the restored volume as a disk/drive letter on the host computer, so you could leave the built-in browser winfow open but then use Windows Explorer to access the snapshot. This made navigating around the snapshot very quick and easy, and made the actual restore in a drag-and-drop operation. Unless I'm missing something, this no longer happens in v6 and we have to use the built-in browser, which although functional, feels a little limited compared to the mounted volume.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

You should still be able to map a drive letter using "Disk Management". I think it's just not mapping a drive letter due to automount being disabled.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

These volumes are now mounted under %AppData%\Local\Temp\random.xyz (separate folder for each volume).
Also, if you are looking to save time doing file level recoveries, consider the new 1-Click FLR functionality. Thanks.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Thanks for that, I knew I had seen them somewhere.
ChrisL
Enthusiast

Post by ChrisL »

Ah brilliant, I'll give that a go next time I need to restore a guest file (sure it won't be long with the users at our school..!)
jbullock
Lurker
Full Name: Jason Bullock

Can't see backup browser mounted drives

Post by jbullock »

[merged]

I have Veeam backup and replication version 5 installed on a Windows Server 2008 R2 box. I had read that when doing file level restores I should be able to open my computer and see drives mounted for the server backup that I am doing a file level restore from, however I cannot see any drives. Any ideas why? I would like to point a third party email recovery application at the exchange database while it is temporarily mounted.

I apologize if this has already been answered as I can't seem to search the forums at the moment.

Thanks,
Jason
ChrisL
Enthusiast

Post by ChrisL »

Sorry to bring this up again, but any chance of having the drive letter auto mount put back in? Maybe have it as a option that can be ticked, so it doesn't always do it but can be set to do so for these that need it..?

An anectode..

We recently suffered a major failure of a VM (the datastore ran out of space on the SAN so the VM couldn't boot, and on top of that, there was a snapshot left open that couldn't be recommitted back, all a bit of a mess really, lessons learned by all though!) but Veeam performed fantastically well, giving us a good backup to restore from once we had sorted out the space on the data store.

However, for various reasons, we couldn't just do a simple Veeam VM restore and had to instead do a file-level restore, which we did by means of an xcopy script, but this of course needed to map to a drive letter on the Veean host, which would be somewhat trickier to do now. At a time of very high pressure and stress, we just needed it to work without much thought, which it did by having a simple volume mounted, but I fear this would not be the case with the volume mounted to a folder buried in an obscure user appdata folder.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Chris, based on the feedback we have received, mounting FLR volumes as drives for interactive file level restores will be brought back in the next release.
ChrisL
Enthusiast

Post by ChrisL »

...and this is why we all love the Veeam team so much, developers that actually LISTEN to their customers instead of telling them what they want! :wink:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

You are too kind :D I would expect you to see this as "They brake it first, then they listen, and then they put it back" ;)

Well, to be fair, the change was needed for 1-Click FLR, because of not enough drive letters during multiple concurrent 1-Click FLR operations. And the reduced convenience of interactive FLR was overseen.

In 6.1 release, 1-Click FLR will still be using the current temp folder approach, however interactive restore through the console will be changed back to using volumes, just as it used to before 6.0.