Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
mulanag
Novice
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Art Mulanax

Microsoft says VEEAM B&R causing quorum disk alerts

Post by mulanag »

Does VEEAM have any impact on the quorum disk in a Hyper-V cluster or is it just ignored?
The event viewer for all our clusters are throwing warnings about backups failing for the cluster as well as quorum disk disconnects.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Microsoft says VEEAM B&R causing quorum disk alerts

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community mulanag.

Can you please share the exact event text and it's id? Thank you in advance!
mulanag
Novice

Post by mulanag »

Haven't opened a case with VEEAM support yet not even sure VEEAM does anything with the quorum disk. Going on MS word I can open a support ticket o pursue.

ERROR 1069

The cluster service detected a problem with the witness resource. The witness resource will be failed over to another node within the cluster in an attempt to reestablish access to cluster configuration data

Warning 1558

The cluster service detected a problem with the witness resource. The witness resource will be failed over to another node within the cluster in an attempt to reestablish access to cluster configuration data.
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy » 1 person likes this post

Heya Art,

Just my unrequested 2 cents, but your MS engineer is full of it.

Unless they can pinpoint exactly how a backup is causing this (not just a generalization, but a reproducible sequence of events involving the backups), your engineer is just blowing smoke in a place you don't want smoke.

If I am very creative with my imagination, I can imagine somehow the quorum disk is somehow attached to a machine being backed up and the disk goes unresponsive during the backup -- from my point of view, this is not the fault of the backup, but instead it's a question of "why can't the disk survive a backup?", and wanting specific reasons as to why the backup operation (either the checkpoint or whatever in-guest operation an agent backup would do) causes issues.

Be steadfast here -- Microsoft relies on the fact that you will give up and ask another vendor even when the issue is related to their product! Don't fall for this; demand exact proof from them. I speak from years of experience trying to solve Hyper V issues with countless clients who bought into Microsoft marketing on Hyper V only to be left in the mud once Azure became a reality for Microsoft, and now they have entire environments struggling daily because of unresolved bugs† and Microsoft's only answer is "well, try to move it to Azure, see if the issue goes away." What can anyone but Microsoft do to fix a Hyper V issue!? You need to be strong! :D

Make your own decision! Is this the Support/environment you want?

† Of course, I cannot prove these are bugs, but look at the 2019 performance thread here and tell me that's not a bug. Can you really trust such a vendor here? Microsoft hasn't changed a bit, and Hyper V is a dead platform in my opinion. If you want this solved, fight tooth and nail with your Microsoft Support Engineer until they take you seriously. This is just advice from what I've had to do in order to fix client issues. It's ridiculous that my clients pay money for this, that I have to spend so much time, and that Microsoft can legally get away with this somehow. I can only hope that we continue to see vendors move to Linux so I never have to deal with Microsoft again! Excuse my excitement here!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I totally agree with Harvey that you should get more details from MS team.

However, I think that you should raise a support request with our support team as well. Our engineers could help you to communicate with Microsoft, for example to provide MS team with some low-level technical details regarding backup process. Also, the only way to isolate the issue is to match timestamps of messages from event viewer to the same timestamps from our debug logs in order to determine the pattern which triggers warnings during backup in your specific case. Please don't forget to share a support case ID with us.

Thanks!
mulanag
Novice

Post by mulanag » 2 people like this post

Thanks for the information. I will open a ticket with VEEAM support. If nothing else get the full story.
mulanag
Novice

Post by mulanag » 2 people like this post

The issue for us was our Anti-Virus software. Below is the article we used to exclude folders to solve the issue.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubl ... ause-issue
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Glad to hear that you've managed to sort out the issue and thanks for sharing this information with the Community!

Thanks!