Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
LarsWulf
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Lars Wulf

v6 backup repository selection and design question

Post by LarsWulf »

Hi everybody,
I am currently planning the update from our existing Veeam v5 Backup to v6.

The setup in v5 is as following:
- 4 Physical Backup Servers with direct SAN access over FC
- Each server uses FC storage on a different SAN then the production SAN for storing the backups
- Each server runs his jobs against dedicated VMware LUNs these are manually balanced

With the new architecture of v6 I plan to implement one extra management server who handles the proxy selection etc. The 4 physical servers should stay as proxy servers. I am quite happy that I will have automatic load balancing between the proxy servers in v6 and do not have to handle this manually.

But how about the backup repository?
I will have to use the actual storage as 4 different repositories. I know that all proxies will have the possibility to access the repositories.
What comes to my mind when thinking about this setup is the following:
How is Veeam the selection of the backup repository done? Will there be load balancing like with the proxies?
What will happen if one repository is out of space and I do an incremental backup for a VM where the former backups were placed on the full repository? I guess Veeam will choose a different repository with free space, but will incremental backups still be possible? Or will the first backup to the new repository be a full back up because it is not possible to link backups over repository borders?

I hope my question is clear and you share your ideas and impressions with me.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: v6 backup repository selection and design question

Post by foggy »

Lars, there is no such load balancing for backup repositories. You explicitly specify which repository should be used by each job during job creation. In case of lack of space, the job will simply fail. Thanks.
LarsWulf
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Lars Wulf

Re: v6 backup repository selection and design question

Post by LarsWulf »

Thanks for the quick reaction.
This is not the anwser I hoped to get but now I have to deal with it and I know that I need to manually manage my repositiories.
Maybe you can add a load balancing on backup repository level and the possibility to have full and incremental backups on different backup repositories as a feature request for maybe a new Veeam version.

Regards
Lars