perjonsson1960
Veteran
Liked: 44 times
Full Name: Per Jonsson

Merge operation suspended?

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Folks,

Just a quick question about Merge;

If a backup copy job is performing the Merge operation, and another job starts copying data to the same SOBR, it looks to me as if the Merge in the first job is suspended until the second job has finished copying data. Is that a correct observation? Or perhaps it is our repository that cannot cope with the load...

PJ
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Merge operation suspended?

Post by veremin »

it looks to me as if the Merge in the first job is suspended until the second job has finished copying data.
How did you come to this conclusion? Any specific observation or message you've captured in the job log? I'm wondering because merge process is not a suspendable operation. Thanks!
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

It's just a feeling, really... I have been looking at the job progress in the B&R console, and the Merge operation just sits there at the same percentage until the second job has finished. I also looked at the Resource Monitor in the repository server, and nothing was read or written in the corresponding files. Of course, I was only looking for a minute or two, so there may have been some "movement" before and after. Perhaps our server just has too much to do with the copying of data in the second job, so the Merge is working very slowly. No big deal, I was just wondering. :-)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Per, the impression might indeed be caused by the fact that the second job took some slots on the repository server for its activity, which affected the performance of the already running merge process in terms of I/O. If you'd like to investigate whether this was the case, feel free to ask our support engineers for assistance.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Alexander is correct here: we cannot confirm your assumption without seeing what is actually happening in your data center. So if you would like to investigate this issue further, reach our support team and provide them with the required data including debug log and environment description. Thanks!
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Perhaps the realtime log in the console is adding to the confusion. I have been monitoring a backup copy job just now, that was running alone, and when it came to the Merge operation it almost immediately went to "33% done". And then about five minutes later it went to "66% done". And it said "66% done" for half an hour or so, and then the job was finished. So I only saw 33 and 66 percent during the whole Merge operation. That is probably why I thought it was suspended...