Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bengoa@tulane.edu
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Alex Bengoa

SureBackup Guest OS Application Error

Post by bengoa@tulane.edu »

Dear Veeam Community,

I set up a couple of sure backup jobs of several webservers individually. That is I create and run a surebackup job of one web server at a time and then I map it to a static IP and test the application. For most servers I test, the web application works when I test it of the surebackup.

However, I have two server when I try to run the application of the surebackup I get application error. On one job, I get .NET error that the directory is not found and on another I get some cryptic Java error. The VM's are sluggish but this is to be expected due to the way sure backup mounts the images from the backup files. My question is will this also affect running application? Have other folk encountered this?

- I am running V5
- I have provision the sure backup with 100% of the resource (ie memory, and proc)
- I am not getting the error in my production environment
- the application have no dependcies. I have cloned them the machine into isolated networks and do not experience the problem
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: SureBackup Guest OS Application Error

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Alex, do you see these errors every time you run a SureBackup job for these web servers or it happened only once?
bengoa@tulane.edu wrote:My question is will this also affect running application? Have other folk encountered this?
Not sure I fully understand what applications you're referring to. Could you please elaborate?
bengoa@tulane.edu
Novice

In the VM that I restore from the sureback, when I test the VM in question I get an ASP.NET error telling me the directory could not be found. On the real production VM I do not get the error! Is this an artifact from running it in surbackup mode?

On another VM that I test out that run TomCat, I also experience Java error on the Sureback job when I test the application.

- I have run several backup of the VM and the error are somewhat consistent.
- The sureback up job post sucess on running the script and VMware heartbeat test ect...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I doubt that the performance on your vPower NFS datastore could affect Guest OS applications that much... Try to restore one of the VMs from existing backup files and verify that your applications are fully functional. If they are, then I believe there is nothing to worry about.

Btw, have you enabled "application-aware image processing" for these jobs?
bengoa@tulane.edu
Novice

Btw, have you enabled "application-aware image processing" for these jobs?
Where do I enable this feature? Is thisapplication test that you can select to perform in the Application Group section of SureBackup?

I will restore the backup to the full VM to verify. Though if it works it will be a bummer because I was hoping our developers could beatup these images

As always, Thanks for the assistance.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

"Application-aware image processing" is configured on the "Guest Processing" step of the backup job creation wizard.
bengoa@tulane.edu
Novice

For this pariticular SureBackup job I was not. I will enable it and tryit again.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you want to have your application backed up in consistent state you simply have to use this option for Windows machines whenever possible. Thanks!