Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jbodes
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: John B

VCenter 6.0 for Windows to VCSA 6.7 and B&R9.5u4b

Post by jbodes »

Have ESXi 6.0 environment on 3 hosts with a couple of dozen VM's, VCenter for Windows, and Veeam B&R 9.5u4b. All working fine but want to finally move up to 6.7 then 7.x platform and Veeam 11.

After failing initial migration to VCSA 6.7 and a long support call w/VMware Tech, I'm advised to do a fresh VSCA 6.7 install and shut down the original windows server. That's fine and I want to stay on 9.5 until the 6.7 environment has had some time to work before upgrading to 7 and Veeam 11 (I know I'll need new licenses when going to 11.)

What will I have to do with the existing Veeam environment to ensure that new 6.7 appliance is recognized by B&R 9.5 and Veeam's setup and history all stays intact? Am I going to have to re-setup all backup jobs and replication jobs? Do I keep the same name & IP on the new appliance or will B&R not care about that? Thanks for any info.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: VCenter 6.0 for Windows to VCSA 6.7 and B&R9.5u4b

Post by foggy »

Hi John, you will need to re-add all the VMs to their respective jobs and they will do a full read during the next run after that - after being registered in the new vCenter, the VMs will get new IDs and will be treated by Veeam B&R as completely new ones. Existing backups will not be harmed and will be retained based on the jobs retention settings.
jbodes
Novice

Post by jbodes »

Makes sense. Will give it a try sometime on Tuesday and reply back. Thanks Foggy.
jbodes
Novice

Post by jbodes »

Ran the VCenter upgrade yesterday and as mentioned, had to remove/re-add VMs to the various jobs to get them working. Also had to delete and re-create the replication jobs as B&R kept looking for the original VCenter and kept giving a spinning wheel. Had doc on the various jobs so it turned out to be a bunch of busy work, but seems fine today. Thanks.