Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
bg.ranken
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Randall Kender

Are there any best practices or guides for Azure Blob Storage?

Post by bg.ranken »

We are looking to setup backups to Azure Blob storage as well as their archive tier through our SoBR. However I was hoping to find some guides from Veeam on best practices for setting up the backup account, storage targets, etc on Azure side but have not found any.

So far the only guide I've been able to find is direct from Microsoft https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/ ... tion-guide but it doesn't go very far in terms of best practices. And it also seems to be missing things like if we may want to use like Infrastructure encryption (still not sure if that would be recommended or not, seems like overkill if we already have the default Azure encryption + Veeams encryption)
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Are there any best practices or guides for Azure Blob Storage?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I'm not sure how we could define best practices, because customer requirements are so different. Some customers go with price. Prices are changing constantly in the cloud. Others go with the cloud someone chose (many Microsoft contracts) - so there is literally nothing to decide anymore.

I put some things together in the sticky forum FAQ post338749.html#p338749

Encryption: everything that goes out of my data center must be encrypted of course. I don't trust cloud providers or any other 3rd party. That's a general rule that is independent from object storage.

Archive tier: the price dictates the best practice. That's why we have default settings that prevent customers from moving data into archive tier too often.

Best regards,
Hannes