Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
KnB567
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ray Cockshell

Memory Leak in VBR Console

Post by KnB567 »

Anyone else notice this? If you leave the VBR console open for any length of time it will gradually consume all available memory on the server. I would imagine this is fairly common practice for many backup administrators. We get alerts from our server monitors after a week or so with Veeam.Backup.Shell consuming the memory. Performance monitoring shows steady memory consumption staircase typical of a memory leak. Solved by closing and reopening the console. Notice this consistently in v10. Don't recall it as an issue in v9/9.5. Does this indicate a memory leak in veeam.backup.shell.exe, or is there another cause?.

Support Case 04776612
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Memory Leak in VBR Console

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Assuming that you use the latest version of V10, then there are no well-known memory leaks. As far as I see, logs are missing in the case. Support can only help with logs (well, that kind of issue also needs Windows logs / your monitoring logs and investigation might become complex, as it seems to be environment specific).

In general, I recommend to check whether you meet the system requirements (there are many customers who are below them). https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Maybe also worth considering V11, as chances for any fix in V10 are low.

Best regards,
Hannes
KnB567
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ray Cockshell

Post by KnB567 »

Hi Hannes
Noted your suggestions above. Have been using Veeam for 7+ years now in many environments. I really opened the thread to see if anyone else had noticed this issue.
We well and truly meet the system requirements mentioned. Have been at what I thought were latest version of v10 since installation and then 10a (19Sept2020).
Have just applied Cumulative Patch P20201202 (https://www.veeam.com/kb4050) as suggested by Roy from Support. So far this seems to be holding.
Was surprised not to be made aware of this Cumulative Patch earlier in one of the 13 cases I have raised since its release.
Is there a mechanism to be alerted when they become available? I receive notifications of security and major updates.
Cheers
Ray
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
as you are registered to the forums now, you will receive the weekly forum digest which mentions all kinds of updates & patches.

For major updates we have the notifications in the product if the backup server has internet access

For small cumulative patches, subscribing / checking veeam-backup-replication-f2/current-version-t9456.html should also work.

Best regards,
Hannes