Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ouebman
Lurker
Liked: never

Off site backup/copy

Post by ouebman »

Hi

i would like to send an off-site backup in a branch office. i don't understand the process..

i have a running hyper v job stored to a local NAS.

i seem i need to make a copy job, but can i have just an other NAS on branch office ? or i need a veeam server ?

Thank for help.

Math
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Off site backup/copy

Post by foggy »

Hi Math, you better have a gateway server there for optimal transfer, otherwise, you will send uncompressed data.
JRRW
Enthusiast
Liked: 45 times
Full Name: Ryan Walker

Post by JRRW »

@Foggy if I recall correctly, some NAS can run the data mover directly on the systems/NAS and act as a gateway, is that correct?

Synology has I think support for the run-time data mover, though ideally we should move to systems that support the persistent data mover?

Assuming the NAS is running a form of Linux at any rate.

Or, does the gateway server still help even if the NAS has the data mover on it?

Would love some insight on this, as we run a Synology as a backup copy repository for our jobs that don't go to tape, and it runs off site (though in our case it's on a P2P fiber so bandwidth is less noticed to be honest) but do try to be as 'best practice' as possible to make support easier for Veeam when things DO go bad :lol:
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

If you're able to run data mover right on the repository, a gateway server is not required. You need to make sure your NAS meets the existing requirements for our data mover to install and work. Here are a couple of links on this matter:

Backups to Synology NAS
Veeam v11 and Synology Linux repository