Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Jayyoo5057
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jay Yoo

Disaster Recovery Planning to local hard disks

Post by Jayyoo5057 »

Hi All, I tried to search solutions for what I'm looking for. However, I didn't find much relevant.

I have small Vmware environment with two hosts and one VCSA on one of hosts, and Veeam B&R is backing up the guests daily.

We have EOL Nimble SAN box as the main ISCI main storage for VM, and backing them to the old EOL Synology NAS box by Veeam. All backend connections are 10G SPF+.

Since Synology doesn't meet our needs for I/O performance to run as DR solutions, I bought few 2.4TB SAS 2.5" hard disks for HP Proliant DL380 hosts to use them as a DR solution.

There are two main Domain servers, and a big application server, and few other IT servers, which can all be covered by those SAS 2.4TB hard disks.

What would be the efficient way to come up with DR solutions using those SAS 2.4TB hard disks when the main Nimble box is down? Thank you
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Disaster Recovery Planning to local hard disks

Post by foggy »

Hi Jay, where do you want to recover the backups from those local disks to, when the primary storage is down? You can fire up a new Veeam B&R wherever you want (on your laptop, for example), rescan the repository and perform restores, provided you have some spare hardware to run the restored workloads - you just didn't mention that.
Jayyoo5057
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jay Yoo

Post by Jayyoo5057 »

If the primary storage is down, synology can be used as source storage to restore backups onto those SAS local hard disks. Can I add those local hard disks as a Backup Repository in Veeam without mounting to Windows operating systems?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Can I add those local hard disks as a Backup Repository in Veeam without mounting to Windows operating systems?
No, in order to create a repo you have to get those disks mounted first.

It's not quite clear what exactly do you want to achieve. If those two SAS drives are intended to run VMs (that is, you plan to failover VMs from Nimble to them), then I don't understand why would you need to add the disks as a repository. Please elaborate.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yep, there's some confusion in terminology. As I'm reading it again, seems your plan is to use these new disks as primary storage to run restored VMs in case of DR (rather than a backup repository instead of Synology, as I read it initially). Then you just need them to be presented as a datastore to your ESXi hosts to be ready to accept restored VMs when DR occurs. As mentioned, you'd need a new instance of Veeam B&R installed somewhere to manage the process as the current instance will be also down due to the storage failure (or you can use the exttract.exe utility instead).