Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TaylorB
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Taylor B.

Backups during SOBR Evacuate

Post by TaylorB »

I need to remove one extent from my main SOBR. I put it in maintenance mode and started an Evacuate. Problem is that it may take days to finish (65TB of data). What happens to any backups that run during this evacuation process? Will they fail, or will it just write the new backup to another extent? Any ideas how to make this a fairly seamless process since obviously we still are expected to run backups as normal.

This is on V11 if that matters.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 527 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Backups during SOBR Evacuate

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

The extent in maintenance mode will be excluded from the list of available extents of SOBR and backup job will select another extent according to backup file placement policy. But keep in mind that you cannot restore data from backup files residing on extent in maintenance mode, you also may refer to this page on our help center to get more information regarding switching to maintenance mode.

Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

@TaylorB I forgot to mention one very important thing: if an extent in MM mode has a piece of an active chain on it, the job will be failed. My bad to not mention it in the very beginning.

Thanks!
TaylorB
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Taylor B.

Post by TaylorB »

Yes, I can confirm that is what happened. I am using per VM chains and 30 out of 160 failed in my main backup job last night.

The performance for the evacuation is much higher than with standard file share copy, though. It looks like it should be done in about 6 more hours (34 total for 65TB), so just in time for tonight's run.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Thanks for sharing this information, let's wait then.

Thanks!