Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
JaySt
Service Provider
Liked: 75 times
Full Name: JaySt

Restore email of deleted or disabled user

Post by JaySt »

i discoverd today that a user had to be enabled in AD and placed in the backup inclustion group to be able to show it in the Explorer for Exchange. The data of an old user-account that was disabled and placed in an archive OU was not visible in the backup, even though the data was there in the repository when the account was placed in the correct group and was enabled.
can i conclude i have to keep my user accounts arround to be able to use any kind of restore option from the explorers? I was not expecting this to be linked to be honest. I expected to be able to browse backups and restore anything regardless of the availability of mailbox and useraccounts in production.
Veeam Certified Engineer
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Restore email of deleted or disabled user

Post by nielsengelen »

This should not happen and sounds like it could be a bug. How did u start the restore exactly? Did you right click on the organisation or was it via a specific point in time?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
JaySt
Service Provider

Post by JaySt »

we definitely tried a specific point in time.
So, there should be no relation between useraccount availability (or state, as in enabled/disabled) within production and the fact the user is shown in the explorers or not?
Veeam Certified Engineer
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler » 3 people like this post

@JaySt

Even if the user is deleted or disabled... If the user is removed from the job, then the data remains in the repository until the end of its retention.
But when the user is removed from the job, then you need to right click in the left pane on the organization, not on the job itself. Then he/she becomes visible in the Veeam explorer
JaySt
Service Provider

Post by JaySt »

Thanks! Will give it a try soon!
Veeam Certified Engineer
JaySt
Service Provider

Post by JaySt »

That was it! starting the restore from the org showed the mailbox, regardless of the state of the user object in AD.
Still good to know that when this object was disabled in AD and removed from the VBO inclusion group used by the job, the mailbox will not show within the explorer when started from the job. Only when the object was enabled in AD AND placed back in the inclusion group, the mailbox would show up.
Veeam Certified Engineer