Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Tutek
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Wojciech

Error installing veeam agent

Post by Tutek »

Hi,
I would like to backup two physical servers 2012 r2, after added protection group I have such error on one server:
1.Backup agent installation is not required[ip_address] Installing package Veeam Agent for Windows Error: Error 1920.Service Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows (VeeamEndpointBackupSvc) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.
[ip_address] Failed to install Veeam Agent for Windows: Unable to install package Veeam Agent for Windows on server ip_address Error: Error 1920.Service Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows (VeeamEndpointBackupSvc) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.
Error: Error 1920.Service Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows (VeeamEndpointBackupSvc) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Error installing veeam agent

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Wojciech.

When posting a technical issue it is required to provide a support case ID, as requested when you click New Topic, otherwise we will be playing a guessing game.
Looking at the error message I would definitely suggest checking used account permissions and target server's Windows Event Log - if service failed to start, that should be logged there with a distinct reason why.

/Cheers!
Tutek
Enthusiast

Post by Tutek »

Hi,
case number is #04711090 we are on Veeam B&R Enterprise but in trial mode generated from our partner because we first have test before we buy this soft, is very important that we successful create test backup procedure of our most important two physical servers.

I logged into windows server 2012 r2 and event log give me error like:
service cannot be run System.IO.FileNotFoundException, and cannot load a file CInterop.VeeamLicense.dll'
File name: 'CInterop.VeeamLicense.dll'
w Veeam.EndPoint.SLicenseRegistryHelper.FindLocalLicense()
w Veeam.EndPoint.CEpLicenseMngr.GetLicenseFromRegistry(Boolean useVbrLicense, Boolean useLocalLicense, Boolean toLog)
w Veeam.EndPoint.CEpLicenseMngr..ctor()
w Veeam.EndPoint.EndPointService.Initialize()
w Veeam.EndPoint.EndPointService.OnStart(String[] args)
w System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)

I execute this installation as local administrator.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Was there a previous installation of Veeam products before on that serer or it was a first time installation?
Also, it would be great if you can upload logs from C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Setup\ to the case.

/Thanks!
Tutek
Enthusiast

Post by Tutek »

Yes, inside was Temp folder, I have uploaded it to case.
This is first Veeam installation on these two servers.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Thanks for update. Not much info in said logs either.
It will be best if partner opens a case from his account for you, as they have Premium support and ticket will be handled much faster - they can set to add your email to CC for ease of communication and refer to your existing case number as well to avoid doubling existing data.
Ramo
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ramo B

[MERGED] Error 1920.Service Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows (VeeamEndpointBackupSvc) failed to start

Post by Ramo »

Support ID : 04784879

Hello Team,

I just installed Veeam in order to backup our server with Hyper-V. I am able to Backup my VMs but not the Host because when the process tried to install Veeam Agent for Windows I am getting this error : Error 1920.Service Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows (VeeamEndpointBackupSvc) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.
I tried to install manually the Agent using command prompt as Administrator, same issue.
I have only one server as Domain Controller. I even tried to use another account, same issue.
On event Log, I have : Veeam.Backup.Common.CConnectionFailedException: [This server] Failed to connect to Installer service

I appreciate your help. Thanks

Regards
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

I merged your question with another similar thread. As far as I understood the case was resolved by rebooting the Windows machine.
I am able to Backup my VMs but not the Host
as the Hyper-V host has no data (at least that's the concept), there should be no need to back up the Hyper-V machine itself (same like there is no need to back up an ESXi server)
when the process tried to install Veeam Agent for Windows
can you explain what you mean with "the process"? The agent on a Hyper-V machine is usually just a standalone agent that is installed with a few clicks. Just to be sure: where is your Veeam Backup & Replication running if you are using it?

Best regards,
Hannes
Ramo
Novice

Post by Ramo »

Hi HannesK

VBR is installed on the same server. I reboot my server twice.
I meant by *The process*, when I run my Backup agent Job, the job tried to install the Agent and finished with the error 1920.
When I manually install the Agent, I can see that it trying to start the service without success.
I need to backup my VMs with a séparate job for Application Aware purposes.

Regards
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Ramo,

- you can do application-aware backup of VM without Veeam Agent on it(Backup Job > Guest Processing tab)
- follow the trail in the log for "Failed to connect to Installer service" > it will stand the exact reason in the next few lines of a log > typically its a firewall that locks connections(like RPC connection failure), especially in the case where agent is installed on top of a Hyper-V host with max restriction firewall policy.

/Cheers!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

VBR is installed on the same server.
if that means the Hyper-V management partition, then it's an unsupported configuration anyway. Microsoft doesn't support applications on the Hyper-V management partition.

Backing up the Veeam server with an agent also makes little sense to me.

The recommended design is that VBR runs in a VM. VMs are backed up directly as VMs. I recommend checking out the quick start guide: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/
Ramo
Novice

Post by Ramo »

Egor Yakovlev wrote: May 04, 2021 2:35 pm Hi Ramo,

- you can do application-aware backup of VM without Veeam Agent on it(Backup Job > Guest Processing tab)
- follow the trail in the log for "Failed to connect to Installer service" > it will stand the exact reason in the next few lines of a log > typically its a firewall that locks connections(like RPC connection failure), especially in the case where agent is installed on top of a Hyper-V host with max restriction firewall policy.

/Cheers!
Hi Egor,

- Yes, I am doing my Application aware by creating a separate job for VMs only, and this job is working fine.
- Yes, you are right, (System.ApplicationException: The RPC server is unavailable RPC function call failed. Function name: [GetSvcVersion]. Target machine: [127.0.0.1].)
My Firewall is disabled and I am on the same server so I don't know what to do with the RPC error. Any Help.

Regards
Ramo
Novice

Post by Ramo »

HannesK wrote: May 05, 2021 8:15 am if that means the Hyper-V management partition, then it's an unsupported configuration anyway. Microsoft doesn't support applications on the Hyper-V management partition.

Backing up the Veeam server with an agent also makes little sense to me.

The recommended design is that VBR runs in a VM. VMs are backed up directly as VMs. I recommend checking out the quick start guide: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/
Hi HannesK,

I did the same configuration in my previous Job, and all was working fine. So I can't see where is my permissions issue to install the Agent.

Regards
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

My bet is that some other service(cough "print spooler" cough) stole a port 6183 from us =)
To reveal the thief:

Code: Select all

netstat -bona > portlist.txt
notepad portlist.txt
and go through Veeam Ports in the list.
Ramo
Novice

Post by Ramo » 1 person likes this post

Thanks Egor, 6183 was used by another process.
Thank you all guys for your help.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Thanks for update!
Out of curiosity(if it's not a secret, of course), what process was it?
Collecting knowledge for the future.