Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
hkanthony
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Anthony

V6 - Proxy and repositry server questions

Post by hkanthony »

I am evaluating Veeam V6 software and have some questions.

1.) I want to use direct-SAN to speed up the backup speed.
However how to configure direct-SAN backup feature in V6, for example, in an environment with mutliple backup proxies + one Backup Repository Server.
From the product manual, during the backup repository server configuration, it will create a shared folder, Is it means that the backup path going from the proxy to the repository server is via LAN.
If direct-SAN backup is supported in this environment, how to configure the SAN switch zoning and FC connection between these proxies and the backup repository server.

2.) For Hyper-V environment, off-host proxy server is recommended to offload backup jobs activities.
Does Veeam V6 supports both VMware backup proxy server and Hyper-V off-host proxy server running in the same server?

3.) Windows 2008 R2 standard edition with Hyper-V enabled only allow one Hyper-V VM instance running.
If we choose to use standard edition as the Hyper-V off-host proxy server, Will it limit the concurrent backup job to one?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: V6 - Proxy and repositry server questions

Post by foggy »

Anthony, please see the answers below.

1. Backup data are transferred between the proxy and the repository servers via LAN, unless backup proxy and backup repository are installed on the same computer. Please note that Direct SAN Access mode regards to data retrieval from the source only.
2. Yes, you can use the same host as a proxy for both VMware and Hyper-V deployments.
3. This kind of limitation looks strange to me, however, that aside, this is not somehow connected with the number of concurrent jobs running on the proxy (which is set while creating the proxy server).

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: V6 - Proxy and repositry server questions

Post by Gostev »

hkanthony wrote:3.) Windows 2008 R2 standard edition with Hyper-V enabled only allow one Hyper-V VM instance running.
There is no such limitation. You can run as many VMs as per official technical Hyper-V limits. However, only one Windows license for VM is included with the Standard Edition (this is what you are probably confusing with). Enterpise Edition includes 4 Windows licenses for VMs, and Datacenter Edition includes unlimited Windows licenses for VMs. Datacenter is the best deal - I highly recommend considering this, since it is cheaper to go with if you plan to run 5 or more Windows VMs per host.