Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
KnB567
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ray Cockshell

[Feature Request] - Support %VmCount% variable in email settings

Post by KnB567 »

The %VmCount% variable reports the number of VMs processed in a job, which is not always the same as the number of objects in %ObjCount%.
This is particularly useful when multiple VMs are processed in a single job.
For reporting consistency across all platforms, the %VmCount% variable should be supported by all components.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: [Feature Request] - Support %VmCount% variable in email settings

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
This is particularly useful when multiple VMs are processed in a single job.
can you maybe explain a little bit more? I have multiple VMs in one job and the %ObjectCount% shows exactly the number of VMs in my environment.

Best regards,
Hannes
KnB567
Influencer

Post by KnB567 »

Hello Hannes
I also use %ObjectCount% (it is a default) but am not convinced over time that this is always the same as the number of VMs processed, especially in backup copy jobs. I recently started using %VmCount% which works in the main VBR console. This request is for consistency (and peace of mind), and to ensure future scripts I am contemplating are accurate.
Cheers
Ray
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

I agree that consistent naming would be good. Do you have any example where the values differ?
KnB567
Influencer

Post by KnB567 »

I don't have specific examples to hand. This opinion has formed over a lengthy period of trying to get aggregate VM backups, particularly to tape. I recall thinking I had everything covered only to find differences when looking deeper.
KnB567
Influencer

Post by KnB567 »

I do have one example where %VmCount% is not accurate. In a Tape job containing a mix of source types (VBR Backup and BackupCopy, VAN, VAW etc) the %ObjectCount% only counts the number of source jobs, and %VmCount% gives the same number. This is true even if the source is actually an entire repository. There are 11 source jobs, with a total of 39 VMs, both reported as 24 Object and VMs.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
just to clarify: as you posted in the Nutanix forum, I checked the email setting on the Nutanix AHV proxy https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/van/u ... tml?ver=21. That one seems to be accurate for Nutanix VMs if I see the results in my environment and your statements.

The latest post is about "backup to tape jobs" right?
There are 11 source jobs, with a total of 39 VMs, both reported as 24 Object and VMs.
I don't understand the 24. If it would count jobs, then it would be 11. If it counted VMs, then it would be 39.

If %VmCount% doesn't report the number of machines in the job, then we need a case with logfiles for further investigations. https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Best regards,
Hannes
KnB567
Influencer

Post by KnB567 »

Hi Hannes
Case #04724962 first raised similar issues on 29 March 2021. Have uploaded numerous logs for this and other cases. None specifically call out the Tape example above, but the AHV component of case #04724962 is highly contributory to this issue.
Ray
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
okay, then I suggest the following: fix the other issues first, and then create an extra case for the different values of %VmCount% and %ObjectCount%. (mixing different issues in one case is a bad idea)

In the meantime I talk to my colleagues whether we can align variable names (in most situations we use ObjectCount).

Best regards,
Hannes
KnB567
Influencer

Post by KnB567 »

Hi Hannes
While we're waiting, I just discovered another twist on this one. The report generated and emailed at end of job actually contains the number of backups processed in the banner headline. This can be different to %ObjectCount% and %VmCount%.

from email subject line: ---> [Success] KnB-Daily-Full-2-Tape (24 objects) (24 VMs)
from email body banner headline ----> Backup to Tape job: KnB-Daily-Full-2-Tape / Created by ...etc / Success 38 of 38 backups processed

Ray
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
just for information: we improved naming of the variables version 11a.

Best regards,
Hannes