Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jpl
Novice
Liked: never

Restoring Backup files from another server

Post by jpl »

I have a bit of a weird thing that needs to be done if at all possible. I need to restore from veeam backup some vsphere VMs but I need to restore them from and on a server the clients weren't backed up from. I have 2 backup servers separated geologically some backups that were done on one need to be restored on the other but not across the wire from one site to the other. The backup files have been provided to me and I am expected to put them in the other Veeam installation to restore something. If I just put the files in the same place as the other backups for this second server and add the clients from the 1st site (the one the backups came from) will I be able to restore the VMs in the second location?

Veeam v5.0.2.230
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Restoring Backup files from another server

Post by foggy »

Yes, just import your backup files into this other Veeam B&R installation and you will be able to restore the VMs from them. Moreover, you do not actually need Veeam B&R installed as we have a standalone utility (extract.exe) coming with every Veeam B&R installation that allows to restore VMs from any VBK file created by Veeam B&R, in case you do not have the product installed.
jpl
Novice

Post by jpl »

OK, I guess I figured it out myself.....:) You just need to import the transferred backups. Easy Peasy.
jpl
Novice

Post by jpl »

foggy wrote: (extract.exe) coming with every Veeam B&R installation that allows to restore VMs from any VBK file created by Veeam B&R, in case you do not have the product installed.
Great, thanks.
1-0-1
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Bernd

Post by 1-0-1 »

Could you clarify what does this mean actually:
Please keep in mind that the extract utility always restores a VM to the latest full restore point.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Extract only reads VBK files, not vib or vrb (incremental), so you can only restore full restore point using that tool.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1