Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
topry
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim O'Pry

Repository changes

Post by topry »

Upgraded from 5.0.1 to 6-
Original install was on a 2008R2 VM and backup target (repository) is on an iSCSI SAN using local path. (V drive)
I have added a second proxy, which is a standalone server. Obviously, it cannot access the default created repositories that use the local mappings for the original VM (veeam server install).

I added a new repository, using a UNC path, enabled vPower NFS and in the review step it has 'Import Existing Backups Automatically'. Initially, I did not check this as I could not tell what it may do to existing jobs mapped to the local path. When I tried to test a job, changing it to the newly created repository (which is same location, just uses UNC vs local), it prompts to import the existing backups first.

So my question is, will importing the existing backups for the new repository that uses the UNC affect those jobs that are using the local path, and if I change those to use UNC vs local, are there any potential issues I should be aware of?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Repository changes

Post by foggy »

Tim, nothing to be afraid of. After importing the existing backups onto a new repository, you will be able to see all of your backups there. Jobs set to backup locally will continue to run as they did and new jobs will be able to also backup to this storage using UNC path. Thanks.
topry
Enthusiast

Post by topry »

Thanks- tested and as you said, worked without issue.
I also noticed that the physical backup proxy was still able to use a repository mapped to the local drive of the Virtual Proxy. I'm guessing Veeam must handle that internally - as it would not normally be able to find it other than through UNC.

One last follow-up.
Once I realized that I did not need to create a separate repository for the UNC, I changed the backup jobs back to the original (locally mapped) repository. If I delete the repository that was used for a single backup (same location, just UNC), will it affect the backup set in the original repository?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

topry wrote:I also noticed that the physical backup proxy was still able to use a repository mapped to the local drive of the Virtual Proxy. I'm guessing Veeam must handle that internally
Sure thing. We need to enable any proxy to write to any repository, otherwise intelligent load-balancing would not be available.
No, deleting backup repository does not touch its contents, if this is what you are asking.
topry
Enthusiast

Post by topry »

I deleted the duplicate repository and while the VIBs created using that name are still on disk, the database entry for the incremental appears to have been deleted with the repository. Import does not support .VIB, so is there a way to re-insert that incremental back into the original chain?

To summarize:
Both repositories were pointing to same physical location, one using local path, one UNC -both mapped to same backup set. Deleted the UNC repository which only had a few incrementals run using it, VIB's still there - restore entries are not.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can rescan the existing repository (the one using local path) and information about those restore points will be updated in the database.
topry
Enthusiast

Post by topry »

Thanks, I did try that - the resulting dialog indicated:
0 backups added
5 backups updated
0 backups skipped

Checked the backup sets, and the restore points were not added.
I also re-imported from the repository wizard, checking 'Import Existing backups automatically' both with and without checking 'Import Guest File System Index', with same results.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

It would be best if you contact support, since we cannot troubleshoot issues over forum posts. Thanks.
topry
Enthusiast

Post by topry »

No problem - support seems a bit busy at the moment, so I was making sure this wasn't a user ID10T or PBKAC type of issue on my behalf.