Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
gga33
Novice
Liked: never

How to virtualize VEEAM B&R without issues...?

Post by gga33 »

Hi,
today I use B&R & ONE 10 on a dedicated W10 instance, using backup repositories on NAS and local rotating HDD (USB).
Now I want to virtualize this whole instance 1:1 on a Hyper-V host, using typically DISK2VHD.
What do I need to consider in terms of
a- Licensing: will that work in VEEAM 1:1 after moving to a VM?
b- Access to USB rotating disk: plan is to connect these disks to the HV host and assign a share on it. VEEAM then shall access the share
c- what else might go wrong ...?

thx a lot
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: How to virtualize VEEAM B&R without issues...?

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi gga33.

a. Nothing changes from licensing standpoint on Veeam side
b. I would rather go without share - it doesn't change anything(rotated drives still be attached to HV host, just assign that host as Repository)
c. Personally I am not a fan of P2V conversions. If migration is an option for you, go for it instead - have fresh HV VM, fresh OS, fresh VBR installation and use Configuration Backup to migrate all settings and jobs from P-VBR to V-VBR

/Cheers!
gga33
Novice

Post by gga33 »

b.: you mean it's possible to assign a repository to a USB drive (rotating disks) on that host? Sounds interesting...

thx a lot; I'll give it a try
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Yes, just add a Hyper-V host which will have rotated extremal drive as a common rotated drive repository of "Windows > Local disk" type as explained here.
External HDDs will be visible in the disk selector.

/Thanks!
gga33
Novice

Post by gga33 »

@Egor & Team,
you mean it's possible to backup the complete config incl. licensing from current system? Then install fresh B&R and ONE 10, then restore without caring about licensing / jobs / ONE config?
Sounds great, even because my DISK2VHD-experiment ends with a fatal I/O error from Hyper-V while starting B&R. Please advise where in V docu this is described.
Don't want to invest more energy in 'why', instead of installing fresh and new
----
I can't backup from 10 and recover to 11 .... ? Would save a step in the future
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Check out Veeam Configuration Backup and Restore guide.
- You don't need to worry about licensing in Veeam: licenses are 100% portable, automatic and require little to none interaction. Just add your license to a new installation and go with the flow.
- yes, you can backup v10 config and restore it on top of v11 server! Check "Upgrading" part of this document as it suggest best possible way for the entire process.
gga33
Novice

Post by gga33 »

Egor, thx.,
I went through docs, clear so far.
So I need to install B&R plus ONE 11 fresh from public V.download, then I have to apply the lic file and to restore the config backup.
I assume that the LIC applies to B&R AND ONE.
What about
a. Surebackup jobs (don't find them mentioned in the config-backup)
b. all my 'old' backups in the repositories (e.g. in my NAS): the repositories remain the same, do I need to import all these backups manually?
c. ONE config (setup and alarms tuning)
d. the 'old' system is still in place, named e.g. 'Server1', until the new one is stable. So I need to setup the new system with a different name 'Server2'. But I'm sure I can't use them in parallel in terms of licensing and repositories. How would you handle that?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

a. Yes, those are included
b. Repositories and Jobs are restored "as is" and new Veeam server will be aware of all jobs, their current backup chains and repository content without any manual tasks
c. Veeam One is a bit different in terms of backup\restore, Veeam Backup and Replication Configuration Backup does not include Veeam One data. Check this doc to migrate Veeam One server(it does preserve full Veeam One product settings)
d. Two VBR servers will not be aware of each other, so it's a bad idea to run in parallel, especially if server versions will be different...
gga33
Novice

Post by gga33 »

great service, thx.