PowerShell script exchange
sfaits
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times

Finding what proxies are in use with running job

Post by sfaits »

I am attempting to write a script that can help our patching team quickly ID veeam Proxy servers that are in use so they do not get restarted when they are backing something up.

I can easily find names of jobs that are running and say hey this job is using the repo server, this storage, and the veeam master server (we only have one of each of those).
I cannot find anything that shows what proxies are in use for that job though. Our jobs are configured to use any proxy that is available.

Is there method beyond scouring the running backup job logs? I have been searching on this for a while and have not found anything that fits.

Given audit restrictions I am not able to install the PowershellCookbook, just gotta stick with plain Powershell 5.1 for the moment and veeam v11.

Thanks!
jhoughes
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 112 times
Full Name: Joe Houghes

Re: Finding what proxies are in use with running job

Post by jhoughes »

You only need the Get-VBRJobProxy cmdlet.
Husband, Father, Solutions Architect, Geek Extraordinaire | @DenverVMUG, @AustinVMUG & @ATXPowerShell leader | VMware vExpert | Cisco Champion
sfaits
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times

Post by sfaits »

That just returns a list of proxies available to the job not the ones that are actually being used by the job.

I have 4 proxies, A, B, C, D, and a job named test with 3 Virtual machines with two disks each.
Test has the Backup Proxy (in the Storage section of the setup) set to Automatic so it can use any or all of the 4 proxies during a job run.

When I run the test job and I look at it in the GUI console I am seeing information like "Using backup proxy A for Hard Disk 1 [hotadd], Using backup proxy A for Hard Disk 2 [hotadd] and so forth for each of the six disks. In this run of test it choose to use proxies A, B, and D.

I ran my powershell script with the Get-VBRJobProxy -Job "Test" and it returns a list of all four proxies, A, B, C, D, not the A,B,D that are actually being used.
jhoughes
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 112 times
Full Name: Joe Houghes

Post by jhoughes »

If you have the proxy selection set to automatic, then you would have to look through the logs to determine which are actually in use during a running job.
Husband, Father, Solutions Architect, Geek Extraordinaire | @DenverVMUG, @AustinVMUG & @ATXPowerShell leader | VMware vExpert | Cisco Champion
Morgenn
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by Morgenn »

There are multiple logs in multiple lcoations, any suggestions on which log to look in?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Select a VM in the job session window, and you will see backup proxy used for each disk in the Action log to the right.
david.domask
VeeaMVP
Liked: 278 times

Post by david.domask »

For the original question in the thread, there's a neat function of the Veeam.Backup.Manager.exe you can do.

Open Powershell or cmd on the VBR server and cd to the following directory:

C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup

Then you can run Veeam.Backup.Manager.exe -SHOWPROXYUSAGES

This will return a live output of the proxy and repository usages:

Code: Select all

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Resource name                  | Usage | Id                                                      |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hyper-V Proxies -|
| <there are no resources in use>                                                                  |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- vSphere Proxies -|
| VMware Backup Proxy            | 1     | {18b661c1-d9dc-4233-90a0-7e7b10dc2d09}                  |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Azure Proxies -|
| <there are no resources in use>                                                                  |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Repositories -|
| perjob                         | 1     | {8237246c-2349-4373-a738-985cf9b252dc}                  |
| some-local-repo                | 1     | {f2fa6289-b2e3-4f24-95a9-febdbf21beed}                  |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- WANs -|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Log Shipping Servers -|
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------ VSS Proxy Servers -|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ESXs (VMware Hosts) -|
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Mount point                                                                                                     |
| Id                                     | Usage | Host                           | Is CSV | Is SMB | Is Hardware |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hyper-V Volumes -|
| <there are no resources in use>                                                                                 |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Vm                                                     | Host                                                   |
| Datastores                                                                                                      |
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Snapshots Removing VMs -|
| <there are no resources in use>                                                                                 |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Host                           | Datastore                      | Latency                                                          |
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Used datastores latency -|
| <there are no resources in use>                                                                                                    |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you're just needing a quick check of what's in use, it's best.

If you need to do reporting for some reason, describe the need and maybe there's a VeeamOne report that better matches, or we can figure out the usage.
David Domask | Director: Customer Care | Veeam Technical Support
sschlott
Veeam Software
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sebastian Schlott

Post by sschlott »

Good morning David,
Has this command been retired in v12?
david.domask
VeeaMVP

Post by david.domask »

Hi @sschlott,

EDIT: nevermind, I just had issue on my lab. @sschlott, looks alive and kicking to me :)

David Domask | Director: Customer Care | Veeam Technical Support
sschlott
Veeam Software
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sebastian Schlott

Post by sschlott »

In 12.1 seeams to be different
david.domask
VeeaMVP