Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
CTCarp
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

over write full backup

Post by CTCarp »

at the end of each week I would like to copy the last full backup to tape and overwrite it with a new (fresh) backup each week on the Veeam server. Will I be able to restore files still with the incremental backup ? Is this an incorrect way of using backup? is there a better method ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: over write full backup

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Backup files are never overwritten, instead we create a new one and delete previous backup chain based on the retention policy you define. For more information on backup modes available please look through our sticky F.A.Q. topic.
CTCarp wrote:Will I be able to restore files still with the incremental backup ? Is this an incorrect way of using backup? is there a better method ?
Not sure I got your question correctly, but you can always restore files from any restore point in the backup chain.

Thank you.
CTCarp
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by CTCarp »

So when I backup using incremenatal and transform to reverse incremental vrb the vbk that is on file is all the incrementals put together as a full Vm backup to date? and all the vrbs from the old incrementals are kept on file - or did I miss something of creating incremental with transform on?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, during synthetic backup a new full (VBK file) is created based on the existing incremental restore points (VIBs), after that if you enable transform operation, all incremental restore points (VIBs) will be converted into reversed incremental restore points (VRBs).