Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
anicolai
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Alex Sørensen

Working with VMware Tags and Tags Categories

Post by anicolai »

Hi

I really fond of working with VMware Tags for defining my VMware Backup and Backup Copy Jobs.
I use tags for Backup Type (Application Awarenes), Credentials and Retention on my long term repository.

But i ran into some difficulties with retention.
I have a VMware Tag Category called Veeam Retention with the following three possibilities: Retention30, Retention60 and Retention90.
I have three jobs configured for 30, 60 and 90 days retention each job excludes VM's with vTags not relevant for the job.
Example my job for Backup Copy with 60 days retention excludes VM's with Retention30 and Retention90 vTags.

But how do i handle VM's where somebody forgot to set a vTag within the Veeam Retention Category at all?
With my current setup such a VM will be included in all three Backup Copy jobs.

What i think i need is the possibility to make en exclude based on a vTag Category being empty (not set) and i have filed a feature requst for this today 04792213.
But does anybody see a possibility to work around this with current options?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Working with VMware Tags and Tags Categories

Post by veremin »

With my current setup such a VM will be included in all three Backup Copy jobs.
Not sure whether I follow you on that: if all your jobs are using tags as their source, how come vm without tag gets present in all jobs? Thanks!
anicolai
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Alex Sørensen

Post by anicolai »

Job Selection is done her by selecting an entire cluster, no Tags used.
-In general all VM's are treated as flat VM and will only be handled with application awarenes og indexing if a vTag is set
-In general default credentials will be used for application awarenes and indexing unless a vTag is set to use other credentials like DMZ credentials

My Backup Copy Jobs uses multible Backup Job as source, and must be Immidiatly Copy (not periodic), this allows only Jobs or Repository as source, not Infrastructure so i cannot select by vTag.
I have no way of telling if a given VM has the vTag Category for Veeam Retention set or not, i'm looking for a way to exclude the ones without a vTag in this category set.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Alex, right, with the current setup VMs without tags will be included in all three jobs. How about including in the regular backups jobs just VMs with the required tag assigned instead of including the entire cluster and excluding the other tags?