Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
tedsteenvoorden
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ted

Application aware backup and Nutanix Leap

Post by tedsteenvoorden »

Hi All,

I have a question related to Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV and Nutanix Leap. To back up an application consistently, the Nutanix AHV Guide says:

Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV Guide
AHV Backup Proxy creates application-consistent backups when the source VM meets Nutanix requirements described in the Application-Consistent Snapshot Guidelines section of the Prism Web Console Guide. If a VM does not meet these requirements, AHV Backup Proxy will create a crash-consistent backup.

In other words Veeam, leaves application consistency to Nutanix AHV. The Prism Web Console Guide says the following about Application-Consistent Snapshot Guidelines:

Prism Web Console Guide
Nutanix cluster transparently invokes the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) (also known as Shadow copy or volume snapshot service) when you configure a protection domain and select Use application consistent snapshots.

Application consistent snapshots can be made by using Protection Domains. The Leap Administration Guide says the following about VM protection using protection policies:

Leap Administration Guide
You cannot protect a VM simultaneously by a protection domain of legacy DR and a protection policy of Leap. If you want to use a protection policy to protect a VM that is part of a protection domain, first remove the VM from the protection domain, and then include it in the protection policy.

I get the impression that Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV will not work with Leap protection policies when application consistent backups are needed. These require the use of Protection Domains which are not compatible with Leap Protection Policies.

Does anyone have experience with this and any suggestions?

Best regards,
Ted
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Application aware backup and Nutanix Leap

Post by Mildur »

I am not very familiar with the protection domains in Nutanix.

We are using for Application consistent backups the Veeam Agent. I don't trust Nutanix for that.
Second, Log Truncation needs the Veeam Agent. Nutanix will not truncate your sql logs or exchange server DB logs.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software