Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kestis
Novice
Liked: never

Enterprise Manager & AD Domain

Post by kestis »

We've got our VBR servers off our primary domain and recently spun up an Enterprise Manager server; it's also currently off-domain. We're looking into the possibility of joining it to the domain for better management of user roles.

It looks like portal admins have full access to just about everything from the Enterprise Manager dash including the ability to delete backups under the Machines tab. We'd primarily be assigning AD groups & users to Recovery / Portal User roles. I don't want to add unnecessary risk, though, and I'm having some trouble finding clear info on this in the best practices docs & forums. With the service account that's connecting to VBR, would I be adding a substantial amount of unnecessary risk by joining the Enterprise Manager to our domain? Like, if our domain is hit with crypto or something, are our off-domain VBR servers & backups at increased risk with Enterprise Manager on-domain?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2902 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Enterprise Manager & AD Domain

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

The permissions of the roles are described in the user guide https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100. Yes, admins can do everything the interface allows.

The best practice: work with the lowest permissions possible (just like with every other software product). Restore operator should be fine for most use-cases.
With the service account that's connecting to VBR, would I be adding a substantial amount of unnecessary risk by joining the Enterprise Manager to our domain?
it depends how secure your domain is :-) As an alternative, you could also use SAML with your existing Active Directory. But that sounds overkill to me.

Best regards,
Hannes
stewsie
Veteran
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Paul

[MERGED] Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager

Post by stewsie »

Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager. Domain attached or standalone server?

What is the best practice for this service and if domain attached are there any security issues or risks?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2116 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Enterprise Manager & AD Domain

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Paul, as Hannes mentioned above - it depends. To my mind, having EM in the domain somewhat defeats the purpose of keeping the backup server itself off the domain as EM would anyway have access to it.