Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Tutek
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Wojciech

Duplicated backups

Post by Tutek »

Hi,
I have such problem, I had to reinstall my vcenter server, now all backups associated with this server are duplicated:
old backups with retention policy count 15, and new one with retention count 1. All backups have the same last execution date and hour what is strange.
During backup creation I have also such error: "VM Name" is no longer processed by this job. Make sure this change is intentional
How could I fix this, and what should I do to avoid such problems in the future in case reinstalling any host server?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2271 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Duplicated backup jobs

Post by Mildur »

A new vcenter database generates new VM IDs.
New VM IDs are seen as new vms by veeam. Therefore, a new Backupchain will be generated. The old chain cannot be used for backups. Only restores.
That is the reason why you see now the vm name two times. The old backup chain from the old vm id. And the new backup chain from the new vm id.

There is nothing you can do now. If you have a retention of 14 days, you can delete the old restore Points in 2 weeks.

The next time for a rebuild of the vcenter, you can try this unsupported method:
https://www.veeam.com/kb2136
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software