Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
topry
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tim O'Pry

SSD Datastore and v6

Post by topry »

Has anyone tested version 6 with an SSD datastore?
We have one ESXi 4.1 system that has two internal datastores. The OS is on SAS and it has an 110GB SSD with a single VM on it (2008R2) -remainder are iSCSI based. The SSD datastore worked without issue in 5, but I cannot get it to backup or replicate under 6.
The job runs for 15+ minutes, and stops at the step where is reading the VMDK until it finally fails with:
Error: Client error: Failed to open VDDK disk [[SSD1] VMFSPlan/VMFSPlan.vmdk] ( is read-only mode - [true] ) Failed to open VMDK. Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [VMVC7];Port: 443;Login: [****];VMX Spec: [moref=vm-11039];Snapshot mor: [snapshot-14712];Transports: [hotadd]] failed because of the following errors:

Nothing was after the '..following errors:'

I have entered a support request online - but was curious if others had tested v6 with SSD datastores?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: SSD Datastore and v6

Post by tsightler »

I have worked with a couple of clients that I know have SSD and they have not mentioned any specific problems with SSD. The error above does not necessarily indicated that anything is wrong with SSD per se, only that hotadd failed for some reason. Have you tried using network mode just to see if it works? It seems likely that it is a generic hot add issue (block size, etc) rather than hotadd, but I guess you never know.
jason.millan
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Millan

Post by jason.millan »

I have seen the same error when I use the prescribed granular permissions in vcenter (v5 ones) for the veeam backup role. When using administrative account (no restrictions) it goes away, so I am assuming it is the granular permissions.

Just got to find which one!

Any v6 Documentation yet besides the release notes?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

How the type of hard drive backing the datastore can possibly affect anything? Of course this is pure permissions error (logon failure), just as the error says.
jason.millan wrote:Any v6 Documentation yet besides the release notes?
Sure, we had all documentation available on the official release date. Check out the product web page, under Resources.
topry
Enthusiast

Post by topry »

My issue appears to be related to this one: V6 Direct SAN Mode: Unable to allocate processing resources

I have a few VM's that do not backup - in Automatic mode, or with Automatic Selection set for the proxies (with datastores selection set to auto or manual). If I limit my proxies to the Veeam VM and set transport mode to Network, it appears they are accessible. I say appears only because I was testing individually and once the job started backing up the VMDK, I had to cancel it as I do not have the time window currently to let it complete. The jobs with these VM's originally (and in v5) were set to auto without failback to LAN enabled as the time window was limited. They had always completed in SAN mode before so the jobs were scheduled within that timeframe.

Out of 4 iSCSI datastores, I'm having issues with 1 (but not all VM's on that datastore and 2 fail all the time (Virtual Center and Veeam VMs) and one other, some of the time) and 1 internal datastore, which is the SSD which fails 100% of the time.

Just passing this along in case we can find some commonality.
ChrisRoad
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Christoph Roethlisberger

Post by ChrisRoad »

We're using several local SSD datastores (mostly RAID6 arrays of 8-16 intel SSD discs) in ESX(i) servers and did not encounter any problem when upgrading to v6 so far.
I could also not imagine how the types of discs could have any effect on anything above the (raid)controller part of a server.
speckery
Novice
Full Name: speckery

Post by speckery »

hello
same issue for me
it was ok for my backup with veam 5 and vsphere 5 but since i upgraded to veeam 6 all is wrong... vddk and permissions to esxi or vcenter problems
any help?
topry
Enthusiast

Post by topry »

In working with support as well as multiple tests, the difference for us appeared to be that with Veeam 5, when set to SAN/Nbd it would fail-over to nbd without throwing the warning. Since we could duplicate the hotadd failure using VCenter, it was not specific to Veeam. Oddly enough, after updating that host to Esxi 5, the error went away (for the most part) - hotadd works 90% of the time on that vmdk.
TrevorBell
Veteran
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Post by TrevorBell »

I have a Equallogic PS6000XVS SSD SAS Raid 6 SAN...Just been playing with settings and all is fine for me.. I have physical PE710 Server with VB6 installed and made 2 backup proxy on VM`s which i set to Hotadd/NBD always hot add for me

Trev

Happy New Year All!
speckery
Novice

Post by speckery »

i ve got as well an equallogic (ps4000)
after applying a veeam patch for v6, it works... but not in virtual appliance mode; it works only in network mode... so slower...
and my cpu on the veeam server (a vm) is at his maximum during all the job.
so it s better but not perfect...
speckery
Novice

Post by speckery »

resolved for me!
thanks to the support, hotadd is working now after changing account for Veeam Backup Proxy Server from Local Account to the same one as running Veeam Backup Service